A Little Zen

June 23, 2014

Some friends and I have been going through Storyline (which is a life coaching kind of tool).

I realized, as I worked my way through the pages, that I had dropped many of my usual creative outlets. For my sanity, I need to be creative, so I’ve been praying and thinking about options.

I ran across Zentangle® a couple weeks back and decided to give it a go. It’s a simple art form (it’s relatively easy to learn the basics) and offers endless hours of creative fun. I started with plain ol’ paper, a fine point Sharpie and a mechanical pencil (though I highly recommend the good quality materials you can buy from Zentangle.com). There are hundreds of Zentangle patterns to choose from. If you Google “Zentangle” or search for it on Pinterest, you will find amazing examples to learn from and enjoy. Also check your local library for Zentangle books.

I share this because:

I like to share cool stuff.
 I want to remind us all that we need to take care of ourselves in order to be healthy people.

Being personally healthy is a great building block for a healthy marriage.

The Zentangle® Method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns. It was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. “Zentangle” is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more at zentangle.com.

Anything is possible one stroke at a time.  Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas

Day 2 in the 30 Day Prayer Challenge  Pray you would hear your husband’s heart and that he would hear yours.

The Forgiven Wife: Rebuilding His Trust Great job of sharing a man’s perspective.

Happy Home Fairy: On Being Your Hubby’s Friend I love this crazy, funny gal.

Image credit © Lori Byerly

Tara June 23, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Oooooh! I LOVE your Zentangle works. I just checked out the videos and info! As a mom of two little ones, I love the idea of carrying a small pad of paper and a good pen for little moments when I can express some creativity. In fact I may use this for an art unit in my daughter’s homeschooling. Very very cool! Thank you for sharing.

I’ve also been eyeing Storyline and am so curious if it would be a good match for a Bible study group. Could you share a little more about it? I’d love to hear a more in depth review than what I’m finding elsewhere online.

Lori - The Generous Wife June 23, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Zentangle is very simple fun. I think it would great for homeschool.

Storyline – the book is expensive ($30). It’s about half book / half workbook (he is a great writer and does well in making his perspectives come alive). I think it would work well for a small group. If your study group is fairly large, break down into smaller groups. I found it to be unique among coaching books. You look at your life is terms of personal stories. You will see your passions and values played out in the stories as you work through the pages. This is the first book that has really been helpful to me in terms of finding my own personal passions. I don’t know if it was the book or just timing or a combination of both. The gals who are working through it with me are also doing well in terms of self awareness and personal planning. Honestly, working through this book has been a surprise for me. I wasn’t really expecting much and I received a lot. I’m working through a few personal stories and am excited about creating more.

Tara June 23, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Lori! That is helpful. I can think of a couple friends who I think would enjoy working through this with me. Now, to find time between naps and diapers and homeschooling and wifing and my current Bible study! Sigh! Maybe in a slightly future season…

Michele ºÜº June 24, 2014 at 10:14 am

Oh! I love Zentangle! I found it several years ago and found it pulled out artistic ability I didn’t know I had. Your Zentangles are great; I recognized them right off. :)

I’ve never used BB in my Zentangles because I just couldn’t find a place I thought it “fit” but you did a great job with it.

Lori - The Generous Wife June 24, 2014 at 11:21 am

Thanks! Some tangles are certainly more challenging than others (some because they are harder to draw and some because I can’t figure out how to get them to relate to other tangles). I’ve just caught on to the number of Zentangle challenges on various blogs and I hope to use them to stretch myself a bit.

Andrea June 28, 2014 at 11:46 am

Cool. Thanks for sharing. I was introduced to tangling at a guild meeting, and it immediately jumped out at me as something small/quick I could do to feed my creative urges. It came at just the right time in my life, so it really strikes a chord with me now whenever I see it. Kuddos!