Necessary Rest

February 9, 2014

♥ ♥ ♥ 5 days until Valentine’s Day ♥ ♥ ♥

Awhile back I mentioned that I was convicted about taking a Sabbath – a day of rest. It was a bit tough for me because I’m a doer with check lists. Gotta get stuff done!

Well, for a few months I was doing pretty well. I made plans to get stuff done on the other days so that I could take time to relax, rejuvenate, and connect with God and family. Sunday is more of a service day for Paul and me, so typically we rested on Wednesday, but it was really a good move and I was feeling more rested and balanced in my life.

Then January hit with truckloads of bookkeeping and then the wedding and then the stomach bug. So now I’m taking a forced rest. <sigh>

I have to wonder if I would have had an easier time with this bug if I hadn’t been overworked and generally frazzled. I’m also certain that my relationships slipped because of all the busyness.

Back to my regularly scheduled Sabbath rest.

How about you? Can you create a more restful day once a week?

Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.  Ovid

Image courtesy of Witthaya Phonsawat / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Jay Dee - SexWithinMarriage.com February 9, 2014 at 4:52 am

Every Saturday, to honor the Creator (Genesis 2, Revelation 4:11), as He asked us to (Ten Commandments, Revelation 14:12).

Lori - The Generous Wife February 9, 2014 at 11:06 am

I think it’s important to live out our beliefs and, Jay Dee, I respect that to you Saturday is your Sabbath. You are right to honor that day according to your beliefs.

I just want to give a little room for those who believe differently.

Early Christian Jews would have continued to observe a Saturday Sabbath, but there is record that many Gentiles observed Sunday in honor of Christ’s resurrection. Others believed that every day was special to the Lord.

I would encourage everyone to study it out and honor God in their beliefs. That’s not meant to be loosy-goosey doctrine, just a reflection of respect for each person’s walk with the Lord as we study, learn and grow in our faith.

“One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord.” Romans 14:5-6a NIV

“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.” Colossians 2:16-17 NIV

Daleen February 10, 2014 at 1:46 am

I’m with Jay Dee. God proclaimed a specific day to be sabbath, and where I once believed as you do now, Lori, I’ve become convinced that we need to stop leaning on our own understanding and accept His commands – no excuses. It is not up to us to decide.

Interestingly the two verses you quoted support exactly this view if read in the context of the day and not when we look at it from our vantage point in history -read more here and let the Father teach you His heart

Much love and peace on your journey

Ol' Will February 9, 2014 at 10:51 am

Great illustration! Thanks for the smile it brought.

That puppy made me think, “Sleep like you mean it!”

Lori - The Generous Wife February 9, 2014 at 11:07 am

I don’t often do “cute,” but that little guy was just too cute to pass by.

Andrea M. February 10, 2014 at 2:56 am

This has been God’s message to me in the past couple months too. I’ve read two books recently, “Crazy Busy” and “24/6,” which both stressed how important it is to take a Sabbath rest. I have made a concerted effort to do so over the past four weeks, and it really makes a difference in my outlook on life. God always knows what He’s talking about and has our best in mind! :) Thanks for your blog, Lori. I really enjoy reading your posts!

Lori - The Generous Wife February 10, 2014 at 11:05 am

Andrea, thanks for the book recommendations.