My One Word

January 3, 2014

I’m enjoying the comments about new year goals (be sure to leave your comment here to enter to win a copy of 31 Days to Great Sex by Sheila Wray Gregoire). It’s delightful to see how individual everyone is and how gals are responding to the leading of God.

One thing that I noticed is the use of one word (or perhaps two or three) as a theme for the year. I’ve seen a growing trend of this across blogs and I think it’s a great idea. So here’s my word (and a new sticky note on my computer).

So I’m looking at the practical expression of graciousness. Staying calm and patient when someone is acting up. Offering to help with a smile. It’s going to be an interesting year.

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24  ESV

Do Not Disturb: 2014: The Year of Friendship Must read article. Really.

Hungry for God: The 3 Best Things I Did in 2013 – Part I I like this gals attitudes about goals.

Are you shopping online this weekend? Please start on the Shop and Support TGW page. It won’t change your purchase price, but I will receive a small commission.

Image credit (c) Lori Byerly

Justin @ Do Not Disturb January 3, 2014 at 6:17 am

“Must read article. Really.” Wow! That’s some high praise. Thanks so much for all you do to help marriages!

Heather January 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

Gracious… LOVE your word for the year; I’ve had so many pop up in my mind I still can’t decide :( Let’s see maybe I’ll have several words for this year as you suggested:
MOVEMENT – closer to God, being active when able to exercise again (after car accident)
BALANCE – life in general
FOCUS – I’ve been too distracted lately
PRODUCTIVE

Hmmm… still cannot decide; thanks for asking us to share – hopefully soon I’ll narrow it down to which God desires for me this year!! In the past I’ve loved focusing on one word – helping me grow with: PRAYER, PEACE, JOY, … can’t remember others.

Bonnie @ Love, Marriage and Sex January 3, 2014 at 12:18 pm

My go to one word is usually “Opportunity”. Failing to recognize the opportunities that God places in my life and my marriage can lead to rigidity and a lack of fruit-bearing. :)

Jackie January 4, 2014 at 6:15 am

My word is “Healthy”…..as in having a healthy marriage, a healthy body, a healthy mind, a healthy spiritual life, a healthy budget. So how do I do all this? Marriage: Spend more time with my husband, communicate, initiate intimate time. Body: Eat more fruits and veggies, stay away from sugars, exercise more. Mind: learn something new, read more , journal. Spiritually: Read the Bible daily, tithe, attend church and volunteer, take notes during the sermon. Budget: Create one and stay on it, use the envelope system, cut impulse buying. This word covers a lot of ground. but with God’s help, I can do anything!

Gaye @CalmHealthySexy January 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I have been thinking about your word since you posted it. I love the word “gracious.” Since my mother died, a number of people have mentioned to me how gracious she was. And it’s really true, but you don’t think about it so much while the person is still living. She was definitely more gracious than I am (!), so I probably ought to consider that word for myself this year.

Lori - The Generous Wife January 5, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I have to say it’s a challenging word. I’m finding all kinds of little places where I need to be more gracious.