Preferential Treatment

May 29, 2013

My husband is special to me. I love him, I married him and I want him to know that he matters a great deal to me.

The best way to show this is by showing him favor, by giving him preferential treatment.

I tell him good news first. I don’t tuck the sheets in at the bottom (he’s 6’2″). I make chicken tetrazini. I run errands with him. The list goes on.

If you want your husband to know that he is special to you, you have to treat him like he is special.

What does that look like for you?

Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.  Robert Heinlein

Image courtesy of nuchylee / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Unclutterer: Creating a Personalized Filing System Dealing with household papers.

The Forgiven Wife: Leaving the Path of Refusal Taking the first few steps back to a sexually healthy relationship.

Intimacy in Marriage: Where to Look for a Strong Marriage Building your marriage in the chaos of life.

Carol May 29, 2013 at 10:45 am

I kind of laughed as I read your post today. If I am giving my husband preferential treatment, it is just the opposite of yours. I tuck in the sheets, because he likes them tucked. And I don’t make chicken tetrazinni because he is on a cardio diet and because he doesn’t like it much anyway.

It just goes to show that we all have to know our own husbands well in order to honor them.

I like your posts. They are short and easy to put into practice. Thank you so much.

The Generous Wife May 29, 2013 at 11:00 am

@Carol Yup, being a student of your spouse is at the heart of loving him well.

Kate May 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Oh, this is such a great post, Lori! I love showing preferential treatment to my hubby. Some of our family and friends don’t get it, but it is so important to me. The little things that he mentions, I try to listen and bless him in those ways. I had to laugh at the not tucking the sheets in at the end of the bed! Brad always untucks ours after I change the sheets and it stays that way until I change them again! I will have to learn how to make the bed at one end and not the other! :) I love, loving on my hubby this way! Thanks for sharing!

The Generous Wife May 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm

@Kate Must be a tall guy thing. :)

Summer Nicole May 29, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Thanks for this post! :) I have been thinking and blogging about how I make sure to keep my husband a priority. This was very apt timing, and a great addition to my list. I know my husband feels special when I remember the little things and give him preferential treatment…and I know he notices when I don’t. Thank you so much for the reminder that this is a great way to show our love to our men! :)

Valerie May 30, 2013 at 4:42 am

So much love in these posts! We’ve been married 4 years now and I still try to give him preferential treatment and will continue until the day we part. Seeing him smile is so wonderful. Love my Honey . . .

Kay May 30, 2013 at 7:46 am

What a beautiful blog! And so needed! I struggle with this often. There are things that my husband is interested in, things he wants me to watch, and I’m just not interested. Do I have to be interested in EVERYTHING he’s interested in? Even if I feel it’s not helping me in any way (as I wrote that, it sounded selfish, but I’m going to leave it there)?

Kathy May 31, 2013 at 7:52 am

When we were dating we left each other little post it notes on the steering wheel (he let me borrow his car so I could easily get to my job). I’m going to start doing that for him. I still have some he gave me and that was 20 years ago!

We very rarely get days off together as I have a great job, but with crazy hours, so when we do, I try and let him set the agenda and pace for the day. I usually don’t get much on my “to do” list accomplished, but am much happier for spending the day with the person who means the most to me.

Jane June 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Give your Husband Sex,Sex, and more Sex! You will be Amazed at his Response!