Take Up The Slack

March 2, 2013

My husband cooked dinner last night.

I actually felt a bit guilty. I’ve been slacking off on household stuff. I have a good reason, really.  :)  I’m neck deep in paperwork and bookkeeping.

I’m blessed that my husband understands the mental fatigue that comes with looking at all those tiny numbers. He loves to cook, so it was a good way for him to bless me and take something off my plate.

I realized that we tend to do that for each other … take up the slack when one of us is busy or stressed. It’s a nice “team player” skill.

I would encourage y’all to keep an eye on your sweetie and help out when needed. Take up the slack. (Ask for what you need when you’re busy too.)

Help one another; there’s no time like the present and no present like the time.  James Durst

Image courtesy of adamr / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

The Romantic Vineyard: Alphabet Dates This is an amazing list of date night ideas.

One Flesh Marriage: It hurts: A message to higher-drive wives Annabel of Spice and Love guest posts to encourage the high drive wives.

The Generous Husband: Safe or Brave? “Have more brave dreams, and turn some of those into brave opportunities.”

libl March 2, 2013 at 6:17 am

My current situation with my hubby (works away from home and is chronically ill) has me picking up the slack every day. Unfortunately, it forces me to leave slack in my own duties in life. It is tough. I am burned out. I don’t blame hubby. Neither of us can help it right now, but I will end up in a hospital bed, too, if someone doesn’t take up my slack soon.

The Generous Wife March 2, 2013 at 10:52 am

@libl Do you have a church family? If so, why not ask for a little volunteer help. Perhaps there is someone who would take some of the house cleaning off your hands. What other things might be something you could delegate?

Paul H. Byerly March 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm

I didn’t take something off your plate, I put something on it!

Love you, and all you do for me/us.
Paul H. Byerly recently posted…Dream together, and live dreams togetherMy Profile

Debi - The Romantic Vineyard March 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Haha! @Paul H. Byerly – I had the same thought and made myself laugh! Such a simple and practical way you are showing your love for each other. Love it!

libl March 3, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Yes, I have extended family and a church family, but people are too busy with their own lives and helping out 2income families.

The Generous Wife March 3, 2013 at 5:29 pm

@libl I’m so sorry that at “first ask” people are not available. Please keep asking (people can be slow to respond) and simplify, simplify, simplify.