Playing Games

February 5, 2013

♥ ♥ ♥ 9 days to Valentine’s Day! ♥ ♥ ♥

It’s still winter where I live (with inches of snow), which means most of what we do we do inside.

Just a reminder that board games are great. Video games are fine, but there is usually less talking going on. Board games (or other table top games) take a bit of time and usually move slowly enough that you can have conversation and laughter.

Patty in Date Night at Home recommended a new game – Qwirkle. It’s not strictly a board game, but it looks fun (and would probably work well with kids too). My son and I play Scrabble and, as a family, we like Settlers of Catan.

I know it sounds a bit tame, but it’s amazing the memories you can make. Set up the game, fix up a few munchies and invite your family to play (if you want an evening with your sweetie, play after the kids’ bedtime or swap babysitting with a friend for a free evening).

What are your favorite games? Please feel free to leave them as a comment so that we all can benefit. I’m always looking for good games, especially ones that are good for two.

I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.  Steven Wright

Too Darn Happy: Moving from Scaredy Cat to Too Darn Happy I love her story. It doesn’t hurt that she mentions some of my favorite resources.  :)

Hot, Holy and Humorous: You Would If You Loved Me! My sweetie is the guest blogger!

We are THAT Family: How to Make Sheet Music Great post on building all day intimacy.

Sharon February 5, 2013 at 5:02 am

My husband and I are great fans of most games put out by Rio Grande. We play a lot of Dominion which is a card building game. We’ve found games to be great not just with each other but with building up friendships with other couples as well.

Pussywillow February 5, 2013 at 5:37 am

We’ve never been able to top our couples’ adaptation of Bonkers! http://domestichurch.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/lets-go-bonkers/ (although the original game is fun too)

Jen February 5, 2013 at 7:20 am

My husband and I play games almost every night (we made a decision not to have a TV in this, our first year of marriage). We love Blokus, Rummikub, Phase 10, and Battleship.

Ashley February 5, 2013 at 8:06 am

My husband and I really like the game Carcassonne (a Rio Grande game) – a fun board game that is actually great with only two players. If you like Settlers and Dominion you should definitely try Carcassonne!

Erin February 5, 2013 at 8:10 am

My husband and I love playing board games but sometimes we tend to be a little competitive. So to make the time more relationship building, we’ve found some games that work well with two people and you play against the board instead of each other. :) We both like Pandemic (fighting diseases outbreaking), Flash Point (keeping a fire from burning down a house) and our newest one is Castle Panic (fighting against monsters who are trying to destroy our castle). All have them have easy, medium and hard ways of playing the game but it’s nice to be able to play, work on communication as a team and then win together!

Tam February 5, 2013 at 8:14 am

Scrabble
Bananagrams
Apples to Apples
Battleship
Scattergories
Balderdash

Kimball February 5, 2013 at 8:22 am

Clue, Balderdash, Catch Phrase, Mad Gab, Wackee Six, Apples to Apples, Cranium, Monopoly

Laura February 5, 2013 at 8:48 am

Our family enjoys the game Solarquest. It is like Monopoly, only it takes place in space.

Fawn Weaver February 5, 2013 at 1:10 pm

My family LOVES to play bid whist but we are incredibly competitive (5 siblings) so it can get a bit loud. The first time my hubby played with us he bowed out early and swore he’d never play again. So he and I play Scrabble and Chess :).
Fawn Weaver recently posted…The 5 Minute Exercise Every Couple Should DoMy Profile

Margaret-Anne February 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm

We enjoy Dominion and our newest is Ticket to Ride. Our family really enjoyes Nominations aka Up and Down the River with a pack of cards. Boggle is good for two, also Upwords and Overturn. We enjoy Banagrams. We learnt Poker to play Strip Poker too : )

Deanna February 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Just came here from Sheila’s blog and today my husband and I took her up on one of her ideas, Strip Monopoly. It was a blast! Monopoly Deal is an awesome short version of the game, $10 bucks at Walmart and we play it all the time!

Cory February 6, 2013 at 12:08 am

I typically do not like games. Playing “Apples to Apples” is my own personal hell… But I’ve come to enjoy Dominion for a number of reasons. I thoroughly dislike games where I’m not allowed to talk (catchphrase, taboo, etc) or that take no skill (shoots & ladders, most games with dice) or that take too long (risk, monopoly, etc) … Dominion is a turn based card game that changes every time you play it and allows for conversation and strategy. Fun for two to eight players.

Kim February 6, 2013 at 7:14 am

It was always amazing to me the conversations that would spring up over board games, as well as walks and long nighttime drives. There was something about the relaxed atmosphere that invited conversations that had been bubbling beneath the surface, but hadn’t been able to break through the regular and busy clutter of the day.

Thanks for including a link to my post-I hope it encourages others to step out towards their dreams. Enjoyed the other resources too. I was not familiar with the book Sheet Music-it’s going on my reading list.

J (Hot, Holy & Humorous) February 6, 2013 at 8:06 am

Recently, our family has been playing Bananagrams and Suspend. Both are quick and fun–a perfect activity right after supper.

Kelli February 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Catan is one of our favorites! We just got the Traders and Barbarians expansion, which includes rules to make the game a two-player. It’s different, and fun! I see a few others have mentioned Dominion.. We like Lost Cities, Rack-O, Mastermind, Ticket to Ride, etc… we are always looking for new games that work well for two players! One of our resolutions, actually, is to learn one new board game each week. Yes, we are a little enthusiastic about games :P

Jo February 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Quiddler is fun and can be played quickly. Sometimes we just want a short break from our usual daytime routine!