28 Years!

January 27, 2013

♥ ♥ ♥ 18 days to Valentine’s Day! ♥ ♥ ♥

Today is my 28th wedding anniversary.  :)

It feels good to look at my sweetie and know that we made it. Not “made it” in the sense that we have marriage down perfectly, but in the sense of we have learned the skills that will keep us loving and growing in our marriage.

We’re happy. We enjoy life together and we look forward to many more years together. (Paul is hoping to make 75 years. I told him that might be asking a bit much.)

An encouragement for y’all:

There were many people who didn’t give our marriage any hope. There were actually some folks betting on how long we would last (we’re talking weeks and months). We had serious baggage and no real marriage or relationship skills. If we can make it, then so can pretty much any other couple.

I don’t think we had anything special other than the desire to make it work and the willingness to hang in there. We prayed, tried, cried, prayed, read, experimented, prayed, cried and believed that God was big enough to work us out of our messes.

You and your husband can learn, grow and change. You can have a happy marriage.

It’s not that I’m so smart, it’s just that I stay with problems longer.  Albert Einstein

Image credit © Paul & Lori Byerly

If you have prayer needs, please leave them as a comment. (Be aware that this is a public forum, so please be discreet.)

Assume Love: Adventure-Seekers Who Marry Comfort-Seekers I had to laugh. I’m the comfort-seeker married to the adventure-seeker.

Safe At Home: The Power of WE in a Marriage Make your home a place where WE is celebrated.

Calm Healthy Sexy: Build Sexual Confidence Knowledge and information can help women feel more confident in their sexuality.

Connie January 27, 2013 at 5:33 am

Congratulations and blessings. You and your husband have helped me and my husband in our marriage.

Annie Jones January 27, 2013 at 5:49 am

Awwww so sweet! Thank you for sharing! We’re looking forward to our 22nd this summer. Congratulations and God Bless you with many more!

Gaye @CalmHealthySexy January 27, 2013 at 6:35 am

Congratulations, Lori, to you and Paul! a 28-year marriage is a great testimony to God’s faithfulness and to the power of love and a willingness to stick with it and work things out. I hope you both have a wonderful day.

Thanks so much also for linking to my post.
Gaye

J (Hot, Holy & Humorous) January 27, 2013 at 7:20 am

Congratulations, Lori and Paul! Love the photo. I think a lot of us who have had long marriages and are happy feel that we beat the odds against us. Willingness to hang in there, work on it, and trust God’s plan definitely worked for us too. Blessings for another 28 or more!

Julie January 27, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Congratulations to you and your groom! May you be blessed with many many more years of joy!

Pearl January 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Congrats you two! You’ve only just begun, 47 more years of adventure. :)

alizabeth January 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Congratulations! Today is our Anniversary also, 15 years (and 7 kiddos later) we are still weathering every storm and enjoying every moment we can together.
Seeing couples make it another year and still be in love always makes my heart so very happy! Have a Blessed Day!

Jillian January 27, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Your ministry has tremendously blessed my marriage and we <3 you guys very much.

Megan January 27, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Congratulations! I pray you are blessed with many more years together!

Robyn Gibson January 29, 2013 at 6:33 am

Congrats to the both of you – GREAT job!! Keep up the awesome work!

Julie Sibert January 29, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I so love this post Lori! I mention it in my post that will be running Jan 30. You and Paul are an inspiration and a genuine encouragement in countless ways. THANK YOU!! I just wish we lived closer so we could sit and chat often!

Ann January 31, 2013 at 10:25 am

Congratulations on your 28th! We are celebrating our 26th today!! It is by God’s grace and direction in our lives that kept our love alive!! God is SO good!
Blessings, Ann @ Christ in the Clouds

Common Marriage Issues February 5, 2013 at 2:50 am

I’m so happy to hear that your marriage is working out perfectly, so often I stumble onto sites telling horrible stories about divorce and infidelities. It’s refreshing to find that there are other couples doing well. I’ve been married for 18 years, and like many happy marriages we have some rough spots, but nothing too serious that it would have been devastating to our marriage. I think we have seen success because we have made it a point to communicate effectively, show our appreciation of each other and occasionally reconnect our intimacy by spending time alone (whether it was a weekend away together or a romantic date night). Lastly, we’ve made sure to make time for one another. By doing this consistently we have shown that we are willing to be involved in the other person’s life and willing to work with them through stresses and difficulties.