Monthly Missive

January 9, 2013

I have a friend with like a bazillion kids. Really.

She’s made a New Year’s resolution to write one encouraging card or note a month. It’s simple and doable (even with a bazillion kids).

I had to ask myself, would it be so hard to do that for my husband? Imagine getting a small encouraging note in your lunch box, a sticky note on the bathroom mirror or a love letter on your pillow. I think that would be a great encouragement for him and a reminder to me of what a gift he is to me.

My friend puts me to shame and I only have one “kid” to contend with (the picture is of my grown son holding my furry kid “Widget”, 72 pounds and still growing, the dog not the son).

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.  William Wordsworth

Image credit (c) Widget

Months ago I recommended Cue Cards for Life by Christina Steinorth (it was available as a pre-order). It’s a collection of simple, but powerful guidelines for communication. The book is now available in print and it’s a goodie.

Intimacy in Marriage: “Wish You Could Speak to My Wife Before I Leave” A very, very serious wake up call!

To Love, Honor and Vacuum: Use What You Have! Saving Money in January I’m doing more de-junking and taking a “use it, use it up or get rid of it” attitude. Nice ideas.

Sheila January 9, 2013 at 7:25 am

I decided I needed to show my Appreciation to my hubby this year. So I went to the Christian Book store Mardels and I found a small book of affirmations that you can tear out one by one and there are 32 in the book. It says “Mr.” on the front and they are made by Day Spring. They also make a “Mrs.” for hubbys to give to their wives. Each one is different and has a simple saying or something to do and you can even add to them or create your own on the back by writing a little something special on it! The first one I gave to my hubby was a moment I won’t forget. He said wow, I love this. It iwas with his morning coffee on a Sunday! It is just something simple that will mean a lot to show that I really do appreciate him, who he is and what he does for me and our nearly grown sons.

THanks for your encouraging posts everyday!
God Bless <3

KT January 9, 2013 at 7:55 am

What kind of dog is that? It looks like our Rhodesian Ridgeback!

Kimberly January 9, 2013 at 8:55 am

My own DAUGHTER did this for ME yesterday! It felt SO NICE that my fifteen year old took the the time out of her chronically-running-late morning to write me a little “have an awesome day” note…and, NO, she does not seem to be wanting me to buy her something. I admit I sometimes feel like the old faithful “speed bump on the road to whats really going on with my life” Mom/wife. I’, pretty boring and predictable and why wouldn’t you take the laundry lady for granted, but my kid really made me feel thought of, important and special just by taking 45 seconds to write me a note. Encouragement is SOOOOOO undervalued!

The Generous Wife January 9, 2013 at 11:29 am

@KT We were told he was a lab mix when we got him, but the vet identified him as Rhodesian Ridgeback. He doesn’t have a “ridge” so he may be something of a mix, but he definitely has the RR personality. I think he will be a fine family dog, if we survive the puppy thing. He is sweet and eager to please.

The Generous Wife January 9, 2013 at 11:29 am

@Sheila I found them here at Dayspring – http://bit.ly/WOtQmf What a cool idea!

The Generous Wife January 9, 2013 at 11:30 am

@Kimberly Appreciation is such a pick-me-up. How sweet that your daughter took the time to bless you. :)

Christina Steinorth January 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thank you so much for mentioning my book again. You have always been so kind to me. I hope you and your family have a wonderful 2013. God Bless. With love, Christina

KT January 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Not all have the ridge! Ours is the sweetest thing ever!! We got him last year from his owner who needed to find a new home for him!

Catherine January 9, 2013 at 2:26 pm

My husband and I started celebrating “month-a-versaries” when we got married. We sort of got out of the habit of celebrating until last month. But it’s a fun way to celebrate each month and think of something special to do – whether a simple note or Something more. : )