Gift Idea Exchange

November 25, 2012

Every year people lose their minds trying to come up with gift ideas for their spouse. This is a tragedy that should not happen.

In the interest of saving brain cells, my husband and I came up with the idea of creating a “gift idea exchange” (sort of like a cookie exchange but with fewer calories).

I’m asking for gift ideas for women (what do you want for Christmas?) and Paul will take those ideas to create a gift idea list for The Generous Husbands.

In return, Paul will gather gift wishes from his generous guys and I’ll create a list for y’all of gift ideas for men.

So, if you would, please comment here or email me with ideas for gifts that you would like (if you have a link to a specific item that would be helpful too, people can find it easier and I’ll make it into an affiliate link if possible).

Let’s make gift giving easier for everyone.

Gifts I wouldn’t mind finding under the tree:

A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on Titus, 1-2 Timothy and 1-3 John by Ben Witherington III
coupons for foot massages (and other things)
a gift card to HobbyLobby.com
a violin music book (yes, we got the violin off Craig’slist – For Love)

Links may be monetized
Image courtesy of Victor Habbick / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Then She Made: Nativity Tutorials Sculpey tutorials for making nativity figures. Adorable.

My husband set me a link to this cool Personality Test. In the interest of getting to know each other better, why not take the test and invite your husband to as well.

Christy F November 25, 2012 at 4:27 am

Gifts that would warm my heart…
-a book that he would like to read with me; could be a marriage book, a compilation of Bible stories/commentaries, or any other topic that he would like to share with me to build our relationship with God and each other
-a phone case with a picture of us on it (found at casemate.com)
-a date night package; cozy socks, hot cocoa, cute mugs, and a movie for a date night in; new jewelry, gift card for cosmetic store or clothing store, and a “ticket” to a nice restaurant or other place for a date night out.

Thank you so much for doing this. I agree that we should not use all of our brain cells on thinking of a gift for the one we should be closest to. But, I always seem to be at a loss when I try to think of something to get him. Hoping Paul’s list has something that is JUST right for my man.

Annette S. November 25, 2012 at 6:22 am

I’m a sewing girl. I’d love sewing related items–how about a subscription to a sewing or needlecraft magazine, depending on what you’re in to. You can find a magazine to cover any hobby. A gift card to Joann’s fabrics is always welcome so I can choose my favorite things myself!

Sophie November 25, 2012 at 7:04 am

This is such a great idea!

One my ‘ideas’ list for this year are:
– a cantilevered sewing basket
– Oliver Sacks’ new book, ‘Hallucinations’
– a ‘one date night of your choice’ voucher
– one of those colour analysis workshops where you learn what colour clothing suits you
– a daily devotional book that we could read together
– something homemade; my husband is very artistic and his handmade gifts (homewares, jewellery, paintings) are always the ones that bring me the most joy.

I look forward to seeing what the men come up with!

Suzanne November 25, 2012 at 7:13 am

My husband and I are considering the idea of sponsoring a child together through Compassion or WorldVision as a kind of ‘Christmas gift’ to each other (although of course it would extend for many years beyond just this Christmas season!)

Gerri C November 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

On my list would be gift certs for a manicure or pedicure or hair coloring or mesage.
A sling for my rifle
A new stand mixer
A waffle maker
Gifts that he has given me that were perfect (my birthday and Christmas are only 12 days apart so I usually get one big gift)
Last year was a Kindle
Year before a rifle
Year before a shotgun
Year before a new study bible
Year before an engagement ring.

Julie November 25, 2012 at 11:20 am

I would like:

*certificate for new shoes, athletic and fun ones
*new blazer, black or dark blue
*large pancake griddle
*new everyday dishes

J (Hot, Holy & Humorous) November 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Best gift I ever got, hands down, was a love poem from my hubby. And he is not a poet! It was from the heart, though, and it touched me very deeply.

Other gift ideas:
* books, always books
* hand-held blender
* bath & body items
* Starbucks gift card (so I feel less guilty splurging)
* tickets to a concert/play/sports event
* a weekend trip (including the childcare)
* gift card for massage, pedicure, facial, or other spa treatment
* more books
* jewelry charm (especially love James Avery)
* “make love kit”–massage oil, lubricant, homemade gift certificates for stuff like “FREE massage” or “position of your choice,” book of poetry, pretty nightie, etc.
* a trip to the shooting range
* did I mention books?

Emily G November 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm

-books (I like the idea of a book to read together that someone else mentioned)
-manicure/pedicure
-something handmade. (one Christmas he carved a piece of wood into a heart with our initials and set a clock piece in it)
-running gear

Lana November 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Lingerie is always a ‘yay’ in my book :D
I keep an amazon wishlist with books i want to have and a pinterest board with the style clothes and jewelry i like, and am sure to tell him my sizes so that he can know the sorts of things i like and feel informed when making choices :D
this is one i love

I want a capo for my new guitar (for one thing, i need a capo, and for another thing it would make me feel very supported in my new hobby)although i might need that before Christmas… a book for learning guitar would be cool, too.

i really am hoping to find a specific Doctor Who coffee mug in my stocking, and i am counting on some Dove Dark chocolate :D

V. Berg November 25, 2012 at 5:01 pm

My husband and I each choose a recipient of a monetary gift. We each place the name of the receiver in an envelope and open it on Christmas day. I get so excited to see who he chose to give the money to and he looks forward to the same. One year we ended up giving it to the same person.

Lorna November 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’d really love to recieve tickets from him for a special outing together like a Harbour Cruise Dinner, or a Hot Air Balloon ride.

My Favourite expensive Perfume.

McKenzie November 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

I love Sheila over at tolovehonorandvacuum’s idea of having a beautiful sanctuary in your bedroom. It makes it an inviting place to nurture your marriage with your wonderful husband. With that being said, I would love a gift card to our local Home Goods store or somewhere where I can buy things to redo our bedroom. Too often do I not buy things for us because the kids come to mind first or I can see money going towards something else. This says to me “the money is already set aside, go enjoy yourself in buying things to make our bedroom something better for us.” :D

Anne November 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I told my husband that I seriously want anything that would help him be more affectionate and flirty with me. I love him to pieces, and I know he love me, but it breaks my heart that he doesn’t touch me very much, not without me touching him first.

Rosemary November 27, 2012 at 10:02 am

Any of these would be great:
A gift certificate to the salon for a foot massage and pedicure.
A beautiful nightgown with matching robe.
An overnight stay at a nice hotel or B&B by the beach.
A heartfelt, handwritten love letter.

Irina K November 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Great idea indeed!

– Any of the kitchen items (processor, mixer, wine glass set, something unique?)
– Jewelry – nothing too expensive, just nice and elegant (doesn’t have to be real)
– Take me on a day’s shopping spree, have a cup of coffee, nice lunch, and shop, shop, shop :)
– Spa (massage, mani, pedi)

Rachel November 29, 2012 at 8:18 pm

My husband who tends to be more practical and logical about gift giving always writes me haiku. I love this trend.

For mother’s day he gifted me with a full detail of my car. I asked for it. It was so nice!

Portland is full of creative, cool people making their living with art. I love it when he finds locally made nerdy gifts for me, or buys me original art from my favorite visual artists.

Going to a classical concert or musical with me is a big gift since he doesn’t usually enjoy or “get” that form of entertainment.

I have always wanted a surprise dinner out at a funky restaurant in the middle of the week after a rough day: “forget what you made, honey… I called the babysitter.” I actually fantasize about this happening someday but I don’t tell him because I want that kind of thing to come from his own idea. I should tell him, though!

This year he is gifting me with a photo shoot with my son by one of my favorite photographers. Good photography is an investment but I think it’s really worth the cost of having truly great images to look back on.

Ooh – hot air balloon ride. DREAMY! Also the love letter idea is perfect. And free.