I Only Have Eyes for You

September 20, 2012

I was wandering about Pinterest the other day and, honestly, I was surprised by the number of married gals that had eye candy of the male persuasion pinned to their boards.

Gals, I’m thinking this is a bad plan. Our guys need to know that they are special to us and that we’re not checking out the other guys.

So be careful what you feed your eyes and make a point of feasting your eyes on your man (not someone else’s). It will save you a load of trouble and your guy will thank you for it.

… let your eyes delight in my ways.  Proverbs 23:26b NIV

Image courtesy of photostock / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Do Not Disturb: Life Giving or Life Sucking Three simple steps to encourage new life in your marriage.

Calm Healthy Sexy: This Week, Live Sexier – What’s Holding You Back? Deal with the “intimacy robbers” in your marriage!

Ameriah September 20, 2012 at 2:50 am

I heartily agree!

Valerie September 20, 2012 at 4:06 am

Amen! My sister has drooled and raved about some actor while her husband was sitting there in the room. How embarrassing and how sad for him. It seems to be everywhere.

I am a stay at home mom now. But fifteen years ago in the work force, I’d hear women evaluate the new males that came to work for our office -married women!

Thanks for writing this.

Jillian September 20, 2012 at 4:30 am

I couldn’t agree more! It is very disrespectful and sends the message that this kind of behavior is okay. Yet I know many a women who would flip out if the roles were reversed and hubby was pinning pics. It’s a double standard and I’m not okay with it. My husband is my fantasy:-)

Gaye September 20, 2012 at 4:36 am

I agree that most of us would be irate if our husbands were doing the same thing. I don’t want to do anything that even gives the appearance of disrespecting my husband.

Thanks so much for the link to my post, Lori. I have received so many new visitors to my blog through your link!

Gaye

Erin September 20, 2012 at 4:48 am

Those boards make me uncomfortable as well. Especially when it’s Christian women . . . I don’t understand it.

Cherl September 20, 2012 at 5:07 am

I have a Pinterest account but quickly discovered it wasn’t worth using due to the uncensoring of pictures put on there. Nakedness and lust is so easily seen there. And yes my definition of nakedness is probably higher than most. Anyway I totally agree it is a place to be cautious of.

Bethany September 20, 2012 at 5:23 am

I have some young single friends that were constantly posting handsome models- sometimes my home page was covered with them because they had gone on a pinning spree! They weren’t even immodestly dressed, the board was about what kind of clothing style they wanted their future husband to have, but It made me uncomfortable to even browse over them. so I unfollowed the boards that the girls were posting to. Now my pinterest is back to crafts, decor, and recipes, and my man remains my only eye candy. :)

Tammy H. September 20, 2012 at 5:51 am

During a visit with a couple from my husband’s work, they were openly discussing the celebrities on whom they had crushes. In order to include me in their conversation they turned to me to inquire regarding my “crushes.” They were floored when I told them I had none. I don’t mean that it never occurs to me whether another man is handsome, but I definitely don’t spend time thinking about another man. My husband is my man, and no other will do, even in the “fairy tale perfection” of day dreams. I can’t imagine hurting him in this manner.

Kate September 20, 2012 at 11:06 am

I think this is such an important issue to bring up. Because women tend to be less visual, we tend to not see this as a problem. Yet I wouldn’t want to see my hubby having “eye candy” pictures of women on pinterest or anything else. We need to be consistant with what God asks of us and what we wish of our husbands. Thanks for this great reminder, Lori!

Kate S. September 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

There is a lot of candy out there, but candy is bad for you. Besides, why gave candy when God designs for your spouse to be a FEAST!! I am a visual woman and I make it a point to NOT look around.

Jen September 20, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Thank you. I could not agree with you more—it bothers me so much to see such things! It’s terribly disrespectful and unkind. Most wives and girlfriends would not take it too well if their husbands had such a board.

mom of 3 September 21, 2012 at 3:30 am

I’d like to hear some men weigh in on this tip. I personally agree with today’s comments from Lori, but is that just because I’m a woman and I HATE it when my man is checking another woman out? In all seriousness, do you men care if we’re checking out other guys? Jen mentioned how most wives wouldn’t take it well if their hubbys had such a board–exactly my point, DOES it bother you men? Does it bother most men? or just some?

casey September 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

So glad to find other women who feel as I do! I may see a man and acknowledge he is handsome, but it is in the same way you say, “The sky is blue”. No emotion. That is all my hubby’s. Even if he doesn’t understand that, that’s how I have always felt about him and us.

Robert Knight September 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

As a man I do find the lustful pictures of men that women post on Pinterest to be a double standard. If a man were to do the same thing we would get railed, assaulted and called pigs.

Men may be more visual, but don’t ever kid yourself. Women are visual too and can do “locker room” type talk as well as men.

I do use the site. I even got my wife to start using it and we share boards. Especially when I find food I like or would like to try I make a pin of it. She is then able to get ideas and save recipes easily instead of having a two ton binder.

I also use it for my gift wish list.

The other problem is the advertising on the site. Let’s just say that Pinterest really needs to gauge the Pinners pins, or collect some more data to make the advertising more relevant and accurate.