Let Him Finish

September 5, 2012

It’s so easy, when you are familiar with someone, to finish their sentences or interrupt what they are saying because (you think) you know where they are going.

As a kindness, try letting your husband finish his own sentences and listen more carefully than usual. People do change and they can change their opinions and perspectives. Even if your husband ends up saying what you expect, you will have shown him a courtesy and kindness.

The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.  Henry David Thoreau

Tackling big jobs with sanity ~ Cut the Box in Half – The Works (from Chris Brogan) Not my usual kind of link, but this concept can be applied to all kinds of projects and situations.

Need more couple time? 3 Ways to Find More Time Together (from Assume Love)

Which Four Words would sum up your life? (from Square 1 Ministries)

Sis September 5, 2012 at 5:17 am

Listening well is such a good skill for a wife to have!

DoNotDisturb-Megan September 5, 2012 at 5:30 am

Must confess, I am completely guilty of this and need this reminder from time to time.

Megan

Rosemary September 5, 2012 at 7:33 am

This is so important. I have found that when people interrupt me to finish my sentence, they are wrong about 95% of the time. This tells me they aren’t really listening and have no genuine interest in what I am saying. Even if they are right, it is so frustrating to be cut off. In a marriage this is even more important. Even if you know exactly what your husband is going to say, so what? Give him the satisfaction of saying it.

The Generous Wife September 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’m a sentence finisher (especially if someone is struggling for the right word). I have to tell you it’s an exercise in self-control for me not to furnish a word or two.

Melissa September 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I am totally guilty of this, not just with D, but with everyone. I think, read and talk fast, and I have a huge patience issue. I read a blog (not mine) the other day that had it in there also. Someone is trying to tell me something!

Hope you don’t mind, here is the link to that other post that mentioned this a few weeks ago. I think others will enjoy it!

Shawn Lawrence September 9, 2012 at 4:04 am

I do this to my wife, but am learning not to. I am usually right about what she is going to say, but I have learned that it is important for her to finish what she is saying SO SHE FEELS HEARD.