Be Present

June 10, 2012

Today is my birthday.

My son is busy working today, so my husband and son took me out to dinner last Friday evening. I remember sitting there and just appreciating them (they are both hysterically funny). I’ve been practicing “being present” and “being grateful” for the “real wealth” in my life.

I’m 55. I’ve spent a fair amount of my life “waiting” ~ waiting for the kids to get older, for the weather to change, for a different job, etc. I haven’t wasted all of my life (there is some really great stuff there), but I want to enjoy the rest of my life by being present more often. I don’t want to look back on my life and see “busyness” or “waiting.” I want to see people I love, laughter and the good things of which life is made. Yes, bad happens. I’m not trying to sugar coat life, but I think we can make a difference for ourselves and others by being present.

Look around you. Where is the “real wealth” in your life. Enjoy it. Be present.

Nothing is worth more than this day.  Johann Wolfgang

(Oh, by the way, when you are over 50 you get to celebrate your birthday for a whole week. It’s a rule.)

Image credit © Elena Schweitzer | Dreamstime.com

This is an extremely powerful post ~ A Grace-Full Marriage Part 3 – Beware the Toxic Mixture Please take the time to read it. (3rd in a series from Journey to Surrender)

I’m always looking for innovative ways to be generous. The Story Company makes that easy. This network of folks is working hard to move people from being trapped in extreme poverty into entrepreneurship and a better life. Buy a T shirt or an Ipad cover and be a part of changing someone’s story! (New items announced each week as they take on new partners around the world.)

Megan@DoNotDisturb June 10, 2012 at 2:45 am

Happy Birthday! I too want to enjoy each day and be present. It takes a lot of personal work and a great deal of surrender but I know it is how God desires to change me and those around me. Thanks for sharing. Blessings!

Megan

Jen Elliott June 10, 2012 at 3:18 am

Happy birthday!

Can’t tell you how much your encouragement and wisdom has meant to me over the years. Today’s is so timely, too; we can ‘be there’ with our laptops, iphones, and headphones…. and not really ‘be present.’ Great post — thank you again! Hope you have a wonderful birthweek!

Theresa June 10, 2012 at 5:47 am

Happy Birthday!!!!!! Enjoy!

Cindy and Steve Wright June 10, 2012 at 5:56 am

Happy Birthday Lori! May today be a starting of another blessed year –one that brings many, many smiles to your heart! God has blessed us to know you through your “generous” writings –which they are! Enjoy your day!!!

Lillie Sommers June 10, 2012 at 7:36 am

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the reminder to truly be present and to enjoy what we have today! Blessings to you for a fruitful year!

Lara LaFreniere June 10, 2012 at 8:01 am

Happy Birthday to you Lori! This is also my son’s birthday — Benjamin is 7 years old today! What a great day to share!

Karyl June 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Happy Birthday! Your words always make me feel good!

Julie June 10, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Happy Birthday Lori!!
Wishing you a wonderful year full of moments to be present in and enjoy.
Thank you for all the ideas and encouragement you & your hubby provide every day.
You bless my husband & I.

Mary June 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm

haopy birthday – I love that quote at the end!

J (Hot, Holy & Humorous) June 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Only 55? Pfft, that’s nothing. ;) I agree that being present is a huge challenge in my life. I’m always thinking of the next thing on my to-do list, so sometimes I miss what’s right in front of me. Happy birthday, and thanks for sharing your wisdom!

The Generous Wife June 10, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for all the birthday wishes … off to celebrate some more. :) (Happy Birthday to Benjamin too!)

Heather June 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Lori,
Happy belated birthday! Thanks for sharing that wonderful gem with us, being present. It is such a great word for me right now–we just found out our fourth child is on the way, and our third is just 10 months old! When I read your e-mail it made me think about all the good times ahead to enjoy (rather than thinking, “How can I handle this?”). THANK YOU for that!!

Heather :)