Seriously Folks …

April 11, 2012

My husband rocks.

We were hanging out with friends and he actually did one of those dance off video games. He didn’t mind looking silly (he didn’t know the moves, though later he did pretty well with the disco, yes, we are old) and he made it easy for everyone to laugh at themselves and each other.

I got to thinking about how sometimes I take myself a bit too seriously. I’m a little too touchy or too worried about how I look. I’m sure that makes me easy to live with. Not.

I think I’ll take a page from Paul’s book and relax, laugh at myself a bit more, enjoy a bit of silly fun.

Don’t take yourself too seriously. And don’t be too serious about not taking yourself too seriously.  Howard Ogdene

Image credit (c) one crazy friend

Check out the new Coffee and Praise Spring Magazine. It includes an article written by me called Baby Steps for Moms.

Encouraging Words: Befriend  (from Encourage Your Spouse)   This is my beloved, this is my friend … Song of Songs 5:16b   NIV

True, true, true … it’s the Little Things that make a big difference! (from Happy Wives Club)

Debi - The Romantic Vineyard April 11, 2012 at 4:02 am

Haha! I love it!!! My husband is the same way. I used to get embarrassed by the things he would say, but as the years have passed I have had a front row seat to seeing how God uses this in him to help others feel comfortable around him. Just last week he was talking to a very pregnant young wife in our church. This is how the conversation went:
DH: You know how this happened don’t you?
YW: (caught off guard, not sure what to say…) Um, yeah, I think so.
DH: Next time eat seedless watermelon!
Then he walked away. She cracked up laughing because he got her!
I love him and his embarrassing (at times) ways.
Dance away, Paul!

Sheila Wray Gregoire April 11, 2012 at 4:23 am

Don’t you find that everybody prefers to be with someone who isn’t afraid to laugh at himself/herself (or to have other people laughing)? And yet so many of us are so uptight about it. You do have a gem there, Lori!

Sis April 11, 2012 at 6:05 am

I liked that magazine.

netta April 11, 2012 at 6:51 am

My husband is the same way. He is not afraid to enjoy himself. He loves to sing and even take a few dance steps in the supermarket while we are shopping. He sings to me and try to get me to dance in the aisle. While he is having fun I am busy trying to get food in the cart. I often say to myself I wish I had his courage. I think I will join in on the fun that he is having and I wont be so stressed. Thanks for the insight

The Generous Wife April 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

Yup, he’s a keeper.

The Generous Wife April 11, 2012 at 10:38 am

@Sis Yes, Praise and Coffee is an interesting ministry. Some friends and I meet at a local McDonald’s (so the kids can play on the playscape) and have a time of sharing and just being gals. It’s been really great.

Fawn April 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm

In business, I tend to be serious. But when it’s just my husband and me, I don’t take anything too seriously. It’s our time to just let loose and enjoy life and each other. I think a part of the pressure people put on themselves is from an inability to not take life to seriously. Cheers to this article! And thanks for the shout out, Lori :).

sandy April 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I discovered this very thing a few weeks ago while we were at a marriage retreat. I ventured out of my ‘box’ and had a great time making a fool of myself while karaoking with my wonderful hubby. I can’t wait to have the opportunity to do something totally out of character again!