Get Back Up!

March 20, 2012

This morning my sweetie and I were talking about how at times we give ourselves grace to make mistakes, but then again at other times we don’t.

For example, when I learned to crochet, I figured it would take me awhile to get better at it. I expected a few scrunched up stitches and a few extra loops. It was a part of the learning process. So then why was I so hard on myself when I was trying to learn a new attitude, like say ~ generosity? or kindness? or gentleness?

I think it’s easier to understand the more practical, physical applications because we can see it. We watch our children learn to walk or ride a bike. We understand that it will take many times of falling and getting back up before those skills become second nature.

Somehow, it’s not as easy to have the same understanding when it comes to attitudes and some adult skills (we’re adults, this should be easy, right?), but really the same thing applies. It will take us many times of “falling” and “getting back up” before generosity or any other skill becomes second nature.

So cut yourself a little slack. If you are trying to be less critical, applaud the seven times you did better and give yourself grace over the two where you blew it (just go apologize, OK?). Perhaps look at why those moments were more of a struggle for you. Were your tired or hungry? Were you distracted? Learn from your mistakes, don’t let them take you out.

You will fall down many times while you learn. Just get back up!

Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall. Oliver Goldsmith

Image credit © Pavlo Lysenko | Dreamstime.com

We’re all in need of God’s grace and love. Drop Your Stones  (from Marriage Works!)

Setting the ground work for understanding Oral Sex: Better to Give and Receive, Volume 1  “Bow chicka wow-wow.” Girl, you make me laugh! (from Hot, Holy & Humorous)

Be generous! Lori <><

Nicole March 20, 2012 at 5:00 am

I totally agree!!! It’s so easy to beat ourselves up over the times we have failed. We need to remember that we are only human… thanks so much for the reminder!!

donotdisturb blog March 20, 2012 at 5:16 am

Great advice and so necessary to put into practice. It is so easy to feel like a failure with each perceived failure but it is all part of the learning process. Thanks for the great reminder.

Megan

J (Hot, Holy & Humorous) March 20, 2012 at 5:24 am

This is a lesson I needed to hear! We impatient perfectionists know the struggle of this one. ;) Thanks, Lori.

Sis March 20, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’ve noticed how when I play a song for the first time on the piano, it sounds awful with all the missed notes and slowing down the tempo. It takes me at least 10-15 times of playing it before it sounds decent. We only get a first time at life, I don’t think God expects us to do it well, just keep trying and leaning on Him.

Shawn March 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thank you for pouring out a big dose of grace! Sometimes we can be so generous with others and yet withhold grace from ourselves! I love the way you worded this! Way to fan the flame of our gracious Lord Jesus!!!

Kim March 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Why is it so hard to be forgiving of ourselves? We can be our own worst critics. I find I have to be incredibly intentional about this for myself, and also for those I love the most. We can be especially hard on our children and spouses, and wouldn’t dream of talking to others the way we do to our loved ones.

Thanks for that reminder to just keep getting back up and putting one foot in front of the other. Baby steps, baby steps!

Tracy March 20, 2014 at 8:53 am

Recently the Lord gave me a word picture of Him holding onto my banana seat bike and steadying me while I learn to ride. Having grown up in a home where I had to learn to do life (skills) on my own, being hard on my self and lacking grace became my default. I realized as an adult I don’t even risk getting on the bike which has led to some pretty strict living. But God has given me a new hope that compels me to get on the bike and ride free and that includes freedom from self condemnation. Thanks again for the encouragement to treat myself the way God does.

Lori - The Generous Wife March 20, 2014 at 10:10 am

I love how God meets us where we are and offers us grace and healing.