Your Husband is a Big Rock

January 31, 2012

Author Stephen Covey tells the story of a teacher that uses rocks as a part of a teaching.

He starts with several big rocks and puts them in a jar.  He asks the class if the jar is full.  Many say yes, but then he starts pouring gravel over the big rocks and it filters in.  He asks the class if the jar is full and they begin to catch on.  It’s not full.  The teacher then pours in water.  What is the point of this demonstration?  Someone suggests that there is always room for more in your life.  Eventually the teacher makes the point that if he hadn’t put the large rocks in first there would have been no room for them.  If you make a place for the big stuff first, the little stuff will naturally filter in around it.

If you will make time and room in your life for the most important things first, your life will have the direction and meaning you want it to have.  Don’t let your days run away with you without a little planning.  Plan for time with your husband.

Yup, he’s a big rock.

Image credit © Jose Manuel Zea | Dreamstime.com

A cute Valentine idea from Happy Home Fairy ~ M&M Love Notes

Big rock skills help when you need to get organized too ~ Organizing Around What Matters Most (from Take Control Organizing

Be generous! Lori <><
14 days until Valentine’s Day!

Lori ferguson January 31, 2012 at 3:54 am

Love this post! Rob and I are heading out for an early breakfast just to grab some time together today. (full day)

Karyl January 31, 2012 at 3:55 am

I love your images and how you used the analogy. Love your posts!

Susan January 31, 2012 at 6:17 am

This analogy is good for so many things that we tend to place last in our lives – I love it! Often we try to put the gravel in first and then wonder why we cannot fit the large things in our lives – the things that really matter. Thanks for encouraging women in their marriages :-)

Paul Byerly January 31, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ve been called worse ….

Debi - The Romantic Vineyard January 31, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I love it! A great reminder, since I posted today about priorities too! Thanks, Lori!

Robyn Gibson January 31, 2012 at 5:37 pm

“Putting first things first.” This is such a great reminder because it is easy to forget our first priority as we go along in our hurried lives.

The Generous Wife January 31, 2012 at 6:16 pm

It’s such a simple yet profound concept. I probably need to get it tattooed backwards on my forehead so I’ll see it each morning in the mirror. ;)

Virginia February 3, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Have you ever heard the variation where the teacher pours in coffee at the end instead of water? The lesson still holds true, but the last point is “…and there’s ALWAYS room for a cup of coffee!” :)

TC Thompson February 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm

What a great analogy!!! My husband is my huge rock, indeed. He depends on Jesus Christ (which is a boulder). I loved this post! Thank you for sharing!

TC Thompson February 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thank you for this post! My husband is indeed a big rock… He depends on Jesus Christ (with is a big boulder). :)