Real Marriage

January 25, 2012

Last Sunday my husband and I happened to be in Seattle, Washington so we Googled Mars Hill and set off for the nearest church.  Turns out Mark Driscoll was speaking and sharing from a chapter in his new book Real Marriage. (aff link)

My “to read” pile is really, really tall and, honestly, there are times when I feel overwhelmed by the number of marriage books out there.  However … I was really impressed with what Mark (and his wife Grace) had to say so I sucked it up, bought the book and read it.

Wow!  It’s a good one.

If you are going to read a marriage book, I recommend this one to you.  Even if you don’t agree with everything they have to say, they cover all kinds of subjects and it’s bound to make you think.  I think it would make an absolutely marvelous study and discussion book for a couple.  My husband and I have already had several great discussions that bounced off of what we’ve read in the book.

I’m in the process of creating a “marriage book library” page and this book made the cut.  It’s current, relevant and very brave.  You go, Mark & Grace!

Coasting is not cool ~ Why OK is So Not OK This is a fairly hard hitting challenge from Journey to Surrender.

I love this encouragement from MarriageWorks!Do the Right Thing

Be generous! Lori <><

karyl January 25, 2012 at 4:31 am

Looks like a great book. Based upon your recommendation I will add it to my own tower of books! :). Thanks!

Kate January 25, 2012 at 4:49 am

Hey Lori! We just got a copy of this as well about a week ago! Haven’t read it yet, but are really looking forward to it! My reading list is long too! Seein your post this morning brought it back to the forefront of my mind. Thanks and hope you are having a wonderful day!
I am hoping that lots of people read this mainly because think it will start good conversations and bring up topics that are many times forgotten by the church, where marriage and sex are concerned!
Blessings, Kate

Michelle January 25, 2012 at 8:05 am

I was SOOO Happy to see this post today!! My hubby and I have been reading Real Marriage for a couple of weeks now!! WE LOVE IT!! But we pretty much love anything Mark Driscoll does! :) We’ve even recommended it to friends and some have taken our advice! We really love what Mark and Grace say about being best friends with your spouse!

Katie January 25, 2012 at 8:58 am

My husband and I just started this and it is great so far. Also looking forward to the rest of the Mars Hill marriage series which is continuing for the next several weeks (we download the sermons on iTunes).

Ashley January 25, 2012 at 10:05 am

It’s so neat how we’re all connected. I go to an Acts 29 Church in Saskatchewan (http://gracesask.com/), and we are currently doing a series of sermons based on the Real Marriage book as well. I’m looking forward to the challenge!

The Generous Wife January 25, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Glad to hear that others are benefiting from the book.

I finally gave up and created a whole “to-read” shelf on a bookcase. That plus a Kindle keeps me from tripping over books.