I Smell Pumpkin Pie

November 17, 2011

© Scott Karcich | Dreamstime.comOver the years I’ve done most of the cooking in my home.  It’s not my favorite job (though I do love baking goodies), but it’s an important one, so I’m always looking for good helps to make cooking easier and bring variety to my meals.  I know that it’s a blessing to sit down to a good meal and, of course, there is couple time to be had at meals or with a shared treat.  Well-prepared food can bring much good to the atmosphere of your home and your marriage.

I received this email with a helpful cooking tip from a generous wife (thanks, Melissa!), so I thought I’d pass it on to y’all.

I have been following your blog since BEFORE I was married. I have now been married 2 1/2 years, and my husband and I just welcomed a little girl into our lives! This is my first tip suggestion.

I subscribe to Allrecipes daily recipe emails.

These messages only contain the recipes that have been rated with top stars, so they are bound to be good. Obviously, I don’t have time to make them all, however, I save the ones I think look like something my husband and I would like to what they call the “Recipe Box”. Then I have an easy way to get ideas for meals on a weekly basis. You can even create a shopping list from the recipe link. We have lost weight, eat more meals together, and I feel so much less stress than I do flipping through one of the many cookbooks relatives and friends have thought I would need. :-)

As a sanity saver, I encourage y’all to plan out your meals for the holiday season.  There is so much going on, it’s nice to be able to know what you are fixing for dinner at the beginning of the day instead of at three in the afternoon [groan].  You could write them on your family calendar or put a list on your fridge.  You might also wish to write out your holiday baking plans. (Just a thought: When you write out plans it’s easy to see if you are overloading yourself or if your plans are reasonable and doable.  Don’t be afraid to simplify and enjoy the holidays.)

Image credit © Scott Karcich | Dreamstime.com

With eleven different printables there is sure to be something you can use. – Free Pack of 11 Different Printable Menu Planning Forms (from MoneySavingMom)

One of my favorite recipe places – Taste of Home

Be generous! Lori <><
38 days ’til Christmas!

Dawn E. November 17, 2011 at 4:20 am

I do this, too, with Allrecipes! It really is neat to be able to see a variety of recipes and save only the ones I want to try. I’ve tried many different menu systems for meal management, and I think my most recent one is the most efficient! I make my own recipe cards. Ingredients are on the front separated out into the grocery store sections and include main dish AND sides. The back has the instructions for main dish and sides. I keep them in sheet protectors that have 4×6 pockets (2 per page, Pampered Chef notebook). That way, all I have to do is pull out 3 pages for 6 days of meals. Making the grocery list is EASY since all I have to do is look at each produce section of the recipe and write them down in the produce section of my list, etc. When the week is done, I pop the pages back in my notebook and grab 3 more. This also allows for easy insertion of new recipes. Hope that all makes sense!

Matthew November 17, 2011 at 5:43 am

My wife and I have been struggling to find an easy, time-efficient way to plan our meals and get them cooked. We want to eat healthier (more fresh ingredients, less additives, more home-cooked meals) but have not yet been successful between work and school. I will definitely be looking at the link above and seeing how it can help us out, not just for the holidays, but in our daily life.

Thanks!

Dorothy November 17, 2011 at 5:55 am

I can’t find how to get the daily recipes on Allrecipes.com via email. Can someone direct me to that? Thanks!

The Generous Wife November 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

@dorothy Click on this link http://allrecipes.com/recipes/daily.aspx and then click on the “join for FREE” button (upper right). That will get the daily recipes in your email and get you a “recipe box” where you can collect the recipes you like.

Amy November 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

http://www.recipezazz.com is a new food recipe website. It has a community of people where you can ask questions about anything (even not food related). You can save your recipes here too.

Jen November 17, 2011 at 6:49 am

I love Once a Month Mom. (Find on fb or just Google to find her blog). She plans out monthly menus for freezing. They are great to not freeze(which I do more often) but I love the idea of spending one chunk of tome cooking and not stressing at all because the prep work is complete. Now if I could find a way to clean up after meals without standing in there!! :)

leanne November 17, 2011 at 8:02 am

I have a book that Southern Living put out “the Busy Moms Cookbook” it has the whole meal planned, and gives a grocery list as well. Every meal that I have made out of there is a HIT!

Barbara November 17, 2011 at 10:31 am

I am also an all-recipes member and receive the daily dish recipes. In addition, one of the things I started doing for my husband last year was making a monthly international meal. Allrecipes.com is a great source for authentic recipes from all over the planet. You can comment on recipes and it is really helpful to read the comments to find tricks and secrets to making the recipes even better.

IAAMM November 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I envy all of you. You LOVE to cook. I, on the other hand, look forward to the day when I can afford to hire a full-time personal chef. Cooking, baking, or anything that requires heat to eat is not my favorite pastimes. But until then, I will dine out and eat granny’s pies.

Lillie November 17, 2011 at 3:12 pm

My husband and I use E-mealz, recommended by Dave Ramsey, and it has definitely saved us money when grocery shopping and it is so nice not to have to plan meals out anymore. It does cost to join, but the money we saved from shopping has more than paid for it. We have learned to buy what is on sale and to look for any specials, like BOGO (buy one get one free) items.
I have not heard of “once a month mom,” but it does sound interesting as well. I will look into that, so thanks for sharing, Jen.

The Generous Wife December 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Karyn suggested: e-mealz.com

There is a subscription fee, but it’s only $5.00 for 3 months. You get a weekly menu and grocery shopping list. You can choose from several various types of meal plans from couples to families. And different diet preferences as well. And the best part is the meals are all delicious. I’ve only had one meal that we didn’t like–all the rest were “nice restaurant” quality meals. It’s a real time saver and it’s been a real hit with my husband.