Hide & Seek + a Prize

July 13, 2011

A generous wife (thanks, Jeniffer) wants to create a “treasure hunt” for an upcoming anniversary. She’s looking for ideas for treasure hunt clues (she is the final treasure, of course). I think this is a great idea and so I am opening this up to the list and asking for your help. Please leave your ideas as a comment to this tip.

You could offer ideas for “setting the final scene,” clue ideas, prop ideas, etc.  As an example: Use romantic quotes as clues ~ When I think of your kisses my mind see-saws. Joni Mitchell (hide the next clue on your kid’s backyard seesaw)

As incentive, I’ll offer a prize.  In a week, I’ll ask my husband for a number (for example “26”) and that poster (the 26th poster) will win a Blessings Jar.  Set out this jar with a pen and small pad of paper.  As you and your family think of blessings, jot them down and tuck them in the blessings jar.  Once a year (perhaps Thanksgiving or at the end of the year) open the jar and read about all your blessings.

Image courtesy of Amazon.com

Be generous!  Lori <><

LMitchell July 13, 2011 at 4:07 am

My husband and I have been married for almost 6 years now and we alternate years when it comes to “who’s in charge” of the anniversary plans. For our first anniversary, I prepared a scavenger hunt for him based on all of our firsts; my good friend and maid of honor helped by handing him clues. For instance, I gave him a homemade card with a picture of us on the front that talked about our first kiss and he had to drive to that location to get the next clue from my friend. He was finally lead back home to where I had prepared the first meal we had together while watching the first movie we watched together. He told me he enjoyed the journey as it took him back through our first year together. We still have the clues as keepsakes because they “document” the memories :-)

Calypso July 13, 2011 at 5:09 am

The best vitamin for making friends . . . . . B1 (next clue in the vitamin bottle)

One thing you can give and still keep . . . is your word . (next clue in the Bible)

“Love is the only gold.” ~Alfred Lord Tennyson (next clue in the jewelry box)

“Where words fail, music speaks.” ~Hans Christian Andersen (next clue would be where the CDs are stored)

“There is more to life than increasing its speed.” ~Mohandas Gandhi (next clue is in the car)

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” (next clue is on the family pet around its collar)

The strongest warriors are these two: time and patience. –Leo Tolstoy (next clue is behind the clock)

Last Clue that would lead to you…
Love’s Trinity
Soul, heart, and body, we thus singly name,
Are not in love divisible and distinct,
But each with each inseparably link’d.
One is not honour, and the other shame,
But burn as closely fused as fuel, heat, and flame.

They do not love who give the body and keep
The heart ungiven; nor they who yield the soul,
And guard the body. Love doth give the whole;
Its range being high as heaven, as ocean deep,
Wide as the realms of air or planet’s curving sweep.
–Alfred Austin
(the best thing I can think of is to wear a French maid outfit and leave a trail from this last clue with dusters, mops and brooms to the bedroom.. )
.-= Calypso´s last blog ..Invisible =-.

Lorie July 13, 2011 at 5:20 am

I’d drive a mile for one of your smiles (leave clue in vehicle)

barbara July 13, 2011 at 5:26 am

using the see saw ideagot me thinking of clues that take you thru marital life –
see saw clue representing ups and downs
car clue get my motor running
slow cooker clue like it low and slow
bible clue(place at his/couples verse)appreciating his godly leadership or effort to follow Christ
bathroom clue scrub your back i’ll scrub yours
tool or work bench building our life togeher
toy cupboard/box appreciate playful side or playing w/kids
trailer or truck clue in it for the long haul

Pam July 13, 2011 at 6:11 am

You could write your final clue on the back of a puzzle. Hide one puzzle piece (or two)with each clue. Once he has found all of the puzzle pieces he can put the puzzle together and find the final clue.

Kerri July 13, 2011 at 7:52 am

I did this for my husband, and hid a clue tied to a ballon at each of the places that had special meaning for us, after getting permission of course. Worked out rather well. :)

Angie July 13, 2011 at 7:59 am

Your next clue is hot, but nowhere near as hot as you…..(oven)
My heart flutters and waves go everywhere in my mind when I think of you….microwave
Our anniversary today, and a game I have had you play, but soon you will find your prize, and you will look in my eyes, so remember all the memories that together we have made, and now let’s end this night as the lights fade, for the gift I give you is the best there can be, for the answer to the mystery is a night spent with ME…..the ending of the hunt.

Have fun….sounds neat :) Angie

Barbara July 13, 2011 at 8:38 am

she could also make the first letter of the first word of each clue spell out something so that once he found all of them he would have a message or a clue hidden in the clues. Like an acrostic poem that he gathered bit by bit.

Another idea is to leave clues around town with shop keepers and restaurants where they have made memories.

Shannon July 13, 2011 at 10:02 am

I think using bible verses would be an awesome idea! Each clue could have a verse with something in it that corresponds. It would take some work with a concordance but it would be sweet and meaningful.
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..two months and two years =-.

christy July 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I did that once for my husband for valentines day! So much fun. I had him start at a neighbors house who gave him a clue that lead him around town to other friends homes. Each stop had little clues and some small little wrapped treat like a candy or small piece of lingerie. It was so fun! Good luck.

Kimball July 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm

You are the light of my life (hidden on a candle or light switch)
Time stops when I am with you. (hidden on a clock)
You RAISE me up. (hidden with the yeast jar)
We are like Peanut Butter and Jelly… there are no two items more perfect together. (Hidden obviously with the PB or Jelly)

Ok… so these are super cheesy, but so much fun to think up! ;)

Barb July 13, 2011 at 7:27 pm

She could use Song of Solomon and use passages as clues. “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.” “I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys. As the lily among thorns, so is my love amon…g the daughters” “By night on my bed I sought him whom my soul loveth: I sought him, but I found him not.” The first could be attached to a bottle of wine as he comes into the home from work. The second could have a vase with silk ‘lillies’, etc.

Judy July 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm

What a great idea! I might use some of these suggestions too…. One thing I thought of for clues–my husband loves getting mail. You could put the first clue in your mail box, and ask him to check the mail to make sure he gets it!
And here’s an idea for “setting the final scene”: a trail of rose petals to the bedroom, where you have rose petals (fake is best for this!) on the bed, and candles around the room, wine in glasses, and chocolate to share.

Kari July 15, 2011 at 2:35 am

Did this with Bible verses many years ago. I don’t remember all the verses I used, but the first one, to start off the “treasure hunt”, was Prov. 31:10 – “A wife of noble character who can find?”

Lisa July 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm

My husband loves scavenger hunts. My kids and I just welcomed him home from a mission’s trip with one. Only our prize was an apple pie. :-) I made rhyming clues stemming from happy memories we have with him- (“This book we read when our marriage was new- prophetic fiction as states we drove through”). Corny? A bit. But he was kind on my poetry and felt special at all the work the kids and I did. (I let the color the clues.) I’ve been enjoying reading everyone’s ideas!

Anita July 19, 2011 at 4:06 am

Soon we will have been married 44 years and still love to do special little things for one another. About a year ago he started leaving me a mini size piece of candy on my pillow, he has not missed a night, even when we travel. Each day I try to tuck something special somewhere for him, i.e. a note, a coupon for something he loves, a new recipe that is something I know he’d like (he loves to cook) a verse, an article, things that are free often are the best … many other heartfelt goodies too, often ones I have created. The best part is finding that “just right spot” to surprise him. So special … keeps our love for one another growing stronger, day by day, year by year!

Lisa Buchanan July 19, 2011 at 4:41 am

I love scavenger hunts and what great ideas that everyone has all ready posted.

My idea – find your favorite scripture from the Bible and have him look in his or your Bible to find the next clue.

Jennifer July 19, 2011 at 6:20 am

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. -Winston Churchill — hide the clue under a chair

For the final clue, have him look up Song of Solomon 8:14.

Teresa July 19, 2011 at 6:39 am

I think the scavenger hunt should be personalized as much as possible. For example, if your husband is a “car guy”, you could have clues that pertain to cars and engines, etc. If your husband loves landscaping/gardening, you could have clues along that line. If your husband loves doing crossword puzzles or word search puzzles, you could hide your clues within a crossword or word search. (There are sites online where you can create your own crosswords or word search puzzles, using your own clues/words.) Also, take into account whether your husband would enjoy a scavenger hunt, whether he prefers difficult puzzles or would give up if the clues are too difficult, etc. And, finally, find a guy you can trust not to spoil the surprise (your brother or dad, perhaps) who can read your clues over, to make sure they are able to figure out the answers. If they can’t figure it out, your husband may not be able to either, and then where is the fun in that? Guys just think differently than we do, so another woman may get your clue immediately, but a guy may not.

Leonor July 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I have been known to include an appointment or errand within the treasure hunt and will have the clue waiting at that appointment. The prior clue could be “Only time will tell” or “Just wait til your 3:00 appointment”

Your clues could also give thanks to the many things that your beloved has repaired or helped with during the last few months. i.e., “Thank you for ordering that part. Now things work much better.” and the next clue will be in the dryer or whatever was repaired.

KJoy33 September 27, 2016 at 12:24 am

Hey everyone,
This year I am in charge of our 3rd year anniversary on October 12th, and I would love some ideas for a treasure hunt for him,