Memorize Scripture

July 10, 2011

© Shuttlecock | Dreamstime.comI kid you not.  Having the Word buried deep in your heart will make you a better wife (person, mom, friend, etc.).  The scripture becomes foundational to your life because God can pull it up at odd moments and show you have to live it.

You say you’re bad at memorizing?  Yeah, me too.  I actually have a learning disability that makes memorization extremely difficult for me, but I’m going for it anyway.  I’m working on one verse a week (and I’m cheating with short verses), but that’s 52 verses a year.  Not too shabby.

Here’s my verse for this week:
For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:10 NIV

Image credit © Shuttlecock | Dreamstime.com

Be generous!  Lori <><

Valerie July 10, 2011 at 4:26 am

How wonderful! I was thinking we need to get back to that too. :)

I wanted to share what I’ve found to work. There are several different methods I’ve used through the years. Here is one that I use with the kids that has a review built in, so that you don’t forget the verse you worked so hard to memorize: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/ We have ours in a folder and used contruction paper and some dividers.
Many times we sing our verses to help cement them. A great site to get you started is: http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/bible_memorization.html
You’ll have to scroll half way down the page to find the verses. It’s funny how when you hear might hear the tune and the verse comes back to memory. We’ve even taken popular Christian tunes and sang a verse with them.

Something I started last year was to “bind” the scripture to my neck. God gave me the idea. I’ve used a ribbon and a chain at different times. I attach it to a “id card” found in the office supplies at W-mart. I type up the verse I want to memorize and slip it in the case. Also, I add a cute design or picture to the front. The verse faces my chest. I had a lot of questions about it. I’ve even added an extra case and slipped tracs in. The purpose behind this necklace is that when I have free time, I have the verse right there to study. Also, it is a great reminder that God is working on me. There have been times when I am frustrated or bent over to do something with the kids it bounces close to my face and the verse comes back to mind.

You can’t go wrong with hiding His Word in your heart.
I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You. Ps. 119:11.

Calypso July 10, 2011 at 6:11 am

I blog about this same thing at:

The best thing I’ve found to do at my office is set up my log on password as the scripture reference. That way I’m reminded of it EVERYDAY and I can look to the right of my desk where my rolodex is and there’s my whole scripture to remember. It also helps to say it out loud.
.-= Calypso´s last blog ..ALONE .. what to do?? what to do?? =-.

Beyondmysmile July 10, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Great idea. The church I attend while I am away at school started doing this. They hand out little pieces of papers with the scripture for the week every Sunday and encourage us to study and memorize it so that it becomes a part of our daily lives. I am away for the summer, but I really think I should find scriptures to memorize on my own. Thanks for the reminder. :-)
.-= Beyondmysmile´s last blog ..Red, White and Blue All Over =-.

Amy July 11, 2011 at 4:09 am

What a timely message! I just got done reading His Word in My Heart by Janet Pope. I would highly recommend it to those who want to dig deeper and memeorize. :)

Calypso July 11, 2011 at 6:29 am

Valerie:
THANKS FOR THE LINKS!! So excited to use them.
Downloaded the songs one. Love it.
This week I’m working on:
“Do nothing out of selfish conceit, but in humility consider other better than yourself.”
Phil 2:3

There’s no one that needs that scripture more than I do!!

Oh and at the LPM Blog, Beth Moore has us memorize and log a scripture we’re memorizing on the 1st and 15th of each month.
It’s really encouraging and fun.
Sometimes when I don’t know what to memorize, I just go through the comments and pick one.
.-= Calypso´s last blog ..Played in the rain =-.

Sheila Gregoire July 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Memorizing is SO important! I’m absolutely with you.

I wrote a blog post recently of the 50 Best Verses to Memorize to help people get started. If anyone’s at a loss as to where to begin, that can help! And we memorize with our kids at the dinner table.
.-= Sheila Gregoire´s last blog ..Wifey Wednesday: Talk About the Real Issue =-.

Donna July 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm

We joined in the 100 days challenge on Facebook and it has kept us busy:https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=192271380818538

My kids are much better at it than I am but I figure we are being blessed regardless of how much we perfectly memorize.

Don’t think you can memorize 100 scriptures, check this out for some encouraging words: