Good Books

June 13, 2011

I encourage folks to create a good library of marriage books. The more well read you are on the subject, the more you will know and can use in your own marriage. It gives you information to share with others and to use as encouragement. You can also lend books to others or lead a book study among friends. It’s a win/win situation all around.  (Please list your favorite marriage books as a comment to this post. Thanks.)

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.  Charles W. Eliot

Be generous!  Lori <><

Jen W June 13, 2011 at 2:38 am

The Love Dare – one of the most impactful, but simple lessons was to not make negative comments. By skipping those unnecessary jabs, it leaves room for both parties to be kind & positive.
Not just friends – by Shirley Glass. Very insightful information on how to keep “friendships” from becoming affairs, & how to heal after infidelity.

Marcie June 13, 2011 at 3:16 am

For Women Only and For Men Only. Excellent books!

Kate June 13, 2011 at 3:16 am

My husband and I are reading Cracking the Communication Code by Emerson Eggerichs and really enjoying it. We’ve been applying the principles as we read through it and have shortened or stopped many arguments and been able to talk through them. We’ve still got a lot of work to do but its definitely helping!

Sarah June 13, 2011 at 4:06 am

His Needs, Her Needs

Sarah June 13, 2011 at 4:40 am

My hubs and I have really enjoyed…
Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
Staying Close by the Raineys.

I’ve also heard good things about…
When Sinners Say “I Do” (author?)

brianna June 13, 2011 at 4:43 am

My favourite book is the sexually confident wife by Shannon ethridge, this book has given me great confidence and understanding within myself which has no doubt positively influenced the level of sexual intimacy in my marriage. I also like uncovered by Susie Davis and no more headaches by Dr Juli slattery.

Eileen Councill June 13, 2011 at 5:05 am

Sacred Marriage: What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy, The Five Love Languages, The Marriage Builder, The Celebration of Sex,

Busi June 13, 2011 at 5:31 am

His Needs Her Needs and The Five Love Languages

Julie Sibert June 13, 2011 at 5:44 am

When Two Become One: Enhancing Sexual Intimacy in Marriage by Christopher and Rachel McCluskey

The 5 Sex Needs of Men and Women by Gary and Barbara Rosberg

Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas

Sacred Sex by Tim Alan Gardner

The Sexually Confident Wife by Shannon Ethridge

Is That All He Thinks About: How to Enjoy Great Sex with Your Husband by Marla Taviano

Jamie June 13, 2011 at 5:51 am

I absolutely love In Love and War by John and Stasi Eldredge. It’s powerful!

Katherine June 13, 2011 at 5:58 am

“This Momentary Marriage” John Piper

LaWanda Sutherland June 13, 2011 at 6:40 am

My all time favorite is “Sheet Music” by Dr. Kevin Lehman.

Melodee Miller June 13, 2011 at 6:47 am

“The Marriage Builder” and “Men and Women: Enjoying the Difference” both by Dr. Larry Crabb

the princess June 13, 2011 at 6:50 am

How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About it, by Patricia Love & Steven Stosny
By Love Refined, by Alice von Hildebrand
The Wife Desired http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/WIFEDESR.TXT
The Man for Her http://www.ewtn.com/library/MARRIAGE/MAN4HER.TXT
Covenanted Happiness, by Cormac Burke

Erin Simmons June 13, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m a newly wed so I’m still reading through books and finding the best ones but my favorite so far has been “Marriage Takes More Than Love” by Jack and Carole Mayhall. (http://www.navpress.com/product/9780891099468/Marriage-Takes-More-Than-Love-Jack-Mayhall-Carole)

I like it because it covers so many areas of marriage from communication, expectations, and sex. Both Jack and Carole talk about each one so you get a guys perspective too which has helped me tremendously. One thing I remember the most about this book is when Carole was talking about how God chooses to love us and bless us. Sometimes is through our husband but sometimes it’s through other means. I’m learning that I still need His direct love and wisdom even when it’s easy to expect my husband to fill that role. (I’m a work in progress. :)

Jenny June 13, 2011 at 7:28 am

Created to be his Helpmeet By Debi Pearl
Love and Respect By Dr. Emerson Eggerichs

Laurie June 13, 2011 at 8:02 am

Solomon on Sex, but Joseph Dillow needs to be a part of every Christian marroed couple’s library!

Susan June 13, 2011 at 8:37 am

“Love and Respect” & “Cracking the Communication Code” by Emmerson Eggerich

Diane Tipton June 13, 2011 at 9:27 am

Romancing Your Husband by Debra White Smith

A Modern Day Knight (Fatherhood)

Captivating by Staci Eldridge

A Wife’s Purpose by Cindy Schaap

Deborah Kultala June 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Sarah June 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs

Hollie G June 13, 2011 at 10:45 am

My favorites include: Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl; Starting Your Marriage Right by Dennis & Barbara Rainey; Pressure Proof Your Marriage by Dennis and Barbara Rainey; The Act of Marriage by Tim LaHaye

Krissa June 13, 2011 at 11:03 am

I second–Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs.

Char Scheuermann June 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It has been a long time since I read it, but I remember really getting a lot out of “The Surrendered Wife” by Laura Doyle. I am a “type A” personality who tends to control things while my husband is way more laid back. This book helped me to not run over his leadership!

Bonnie June 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
Stripped Down by Tony & Alisa DiLorenzo
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman
His Needs, Her Needs by Willard Harley
I like Les and Leslie Parrott’s books too!

Lianna June 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl and another great one she wrote with her husband Mike Pearl, Holy Sex( based on The Song of Solomon). Two great books written to help you have a fruitful and blessed marriage.

bp June 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Initimate Issues by Linda Dillow and Lorraine Pintus
is one I just finished and thought was great.

Karen June 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I agree – Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas.

The subtitle says it all: “What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy “

Anita June 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

“Love and Respect” by Emerson Eggerichs, “For women only” by Shaunti Feldhahn, “The act of marriage” by Tim LaHaye. I’ve heard fantastic reviews of Kevin Lehman’s “Sheet Music” and have loved his other books I’ve read :)

Alisa June 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm

The Excellent Wife by martha Peace
Created to Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
You can’t control whether you have a great marriage. You can only control
whether you are a great wife.

Bonnie June 14, 2011 at 5:46 am

Piping in late to suggest Intended for Pleasure. It is especially helpful for newly-weds or couples with sexual difficulties.

Erin June 14, 2011 at 8:14 am

“What Did You Expect” by Paul Tripp

Judith June 14, 2011 at 8:31 am

What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage, by Paul David Tripp. A series of video summaries is located here: http://www.wtsbooks.com/content/whatdidyouexpect_bonus as well as on youtube.

Joyce June 14, 2011 at 9:45 am

Dare to Forgive
The Five Love Languages
Married to Distraction

Sorry I can’t remember the authors.

Kathleen June 14, 2011 at 10:27 am

“The Power of Two Workbook” by Dr. Abigail Hirsch. This book has saved our marriage, and works even if only one side is doing the workbook. I learned SO much about how I work, how he works, and how I can change myself to smooth out situations. They should have this as a curriculum in school, seriously. I teach it to our son in homeschool!

Jennifer Barber June 14, 2011 at 10:35 am

Love & Respect (listed above several times) is fabulous…stepped ALL OVER my toes!

Barbara June 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

Love Notes on His Pillow
5 Love Languages
Romancing Your Husband
The proper care and feeding of husbands and Woman Power
How to Date your Spouse

all have brought/are bringing my husband and I closer and closer to the stupendous marriage we desire.

lasabrae June 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm

The Purpose and Power of Love and Marriage by Myles Munroe. great book, my husband and i read it shortly after we got married almost 4 years ago and it changed our lives. i highly recommend it.

Debi Walter - The Romantic Vineyard June 16, 2011 at 6:51 am

What Did You Expect? by Paul David Tripp (currently my all time favorite!)
When Sinners Say I Do, by Dave Harvey