The Unexpected

April 18, 2011

I get Susan Heid’s newsletter (The Confident Mom – sign up link in the upper right corner).  She recently shared a lovely idea that I think would benefit any relationship.

Do something wacky and totally out of the ordinary.

Are you falling into a pretty predictable pattern at your house?  I sometimes find that in our house we end up going from one task to the next without too much thinking, emotion or thought.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I love routine and I think it makes things a lot easier… But how about changing things up a bit? … What would wacky look like for you at your house? Sometimes being a little crazy is a really good thing.  I know it is good for me to go off from the norm and create some fun at my house. …

I’m not terribly spontaneous by nature, so I have to sort of “plan creative and fun outbursts.”  Which basically means I brainstorm for ideas and then look for opportunities to act out my ideas.  (I have plans to make and decorate Christmas cookies sometime this summer.  I have a truckload of cool cookie cutters and I aim to have some fun with my family and anyone else who happens to be there when I start slinging flour.)

Image credit (c) Iperl | Dreamstime.com

Blessings, Lori <><

Susan April 18, 2011 at 6:08 am

Thank you so much for sharing this with your readers! This reminded me again that I need to “shake” things up a bit – it has been rather predictable at our house lately :-)

leslie April 18, 2011 at 7:42 am

thanks for the remindeer. i am usually spontaneous, but lately i have been pretty routine. now is the time to shake it up. :)

Amber April 20, 2011 at 5:09 am

I had to laugh at your comment about planning to be spontaneous! My husband and I just went out on a date, which we hardly ever do, and I said, “we really need to be spontaneous more often, that was fun!”. He smiled and said, “Yeah, let’s be more spontaneous! I’ll write that down in my planner!”. We laughed! But it got me to thinking, why not “plan spontaneous events”? I’m the more free spirit of the two of us, so spontaneous events usually occur when I make them happen, but sometimes I forget that it’s fun and we get kind of boring and in a rut. So, after my DH comment about planning, I’ve decided to plan spontaneous surprises in the next few months, small things, like taking his hand and pulling him out for a walk (or ride, we have horses), doing a day trip, or other fun things.

Thank you for your wise words, I am so happy to open up my browser in the morning to Godly inspiration. Not only does it give me ideas to be the proper “helpmeet” for my husband, if I am having a hard time shaking an improper attitude, you help me adjust my morning to reflect a humble heart.

Kim April 18, 2013 at 3:25 am

Christmas cookies in the summer? Love it!
I agree! Keith and I might take our cameras and go shoot somewhere, or just get silly on a walk.
I just wrote this week about a wacky afternoon that transpired after a long bout of Cabin Fever. Hope it’s ok to share my link, Lori!

Chris April 18, 2013 at 10:33 am

I work best with planned spontaneity, too. I sometimes boil eggs in October and decorate them with Easter egg dye. And then I’ll go to crack one open and ask my friends, “Do you think this is still good?”

The Generous Wife April 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Y’all are just too much fun. :)