On the Twelfth Day of Christmas

November 22, 2010

This is an early Christmas tip, but if you are going to pull it off you’ll need some time to plan for it.

The “Twelve Days of Christmas” are the twelve days between Christmas Day and Epiphany. In the past, these days were celebrated by gift giving. Many people enjoy reviving this tradition by giving gifts for twelve days either following Christmas Day (traditionally December 25th through January 5th) or leading up to Christmas Day (non-traditional December 14th through 25th). A creative twist is giving one gift on the first day, two on the second, three on the third, and so forth. Here are a few ideas for creating your own “Twelve Days of Christmas” fun.

Day 1 – something unique and individual – a Christmas ornament, a collectible, a nice wallet, or a framed photo.
Day 2 – anything that comes in pairs – mittens, socks, bookends, cuff links, or tickets to an event.
Day 3-6 – small gift sets, different kinds of mustards, chocolates in a sampler box, a few fishing lures, gardening tools, sticky note pads (there are some fun shapes and colors), or balloons.
Days 5-12 – This gets more challenging as the number goes up. Look for things that are packaged in multiples and consider the small items that your husband uses frequently. Wander through his favorite stores and look for lots of little things.

Some ideas: batteries, burnable CD’s, his favorite candies, markers, postage stamps (especially if he is a collector), coupons good for services, book plates, small tool kit with (however many) tools, cookies, or office supplies.

I love the Christmas-tide, and yet,
I notice this, each year I live;
I always like the gifts I get,
But how I love the gifts I give!
Carolyn Wells

Be generous! Lori <><

Allison November 22, 2010 at 3:51 am

I do this with a Christmas stocking left on my hubby’s counter by the sink. Usually it’s stuff for our bedroom fun. You can get a lot of small gifts that can enhance your romantic times together. The last day/night (we do one present on Christmas Eve), I usually get some kind of lingerie for him to “unwrap”. It’s become a fun tradition which gets me in the spirit of the season.

Valerie J November 22, 2010 at 5:03 am

Hurray! What a great idea! Thanks Lori. I am thinking Rochelle for day 3. I guess i am going to plunder around and see what else I can find. =)

Darcy November 22, 2010 at 5:17 am

Here is an idea I kept from a few years ago. I still haven’t done it, but it is a cute idea. My idea was to do it for my husband.

Starting on December 13, you secretly deliver each day’s message with the following gift to the recipient. (We usually put the things in a bag and hang it on their doorknob.)

First Day: “On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a partridge in a pear tree…It seems that the partridge has flown away and we really hated to cut down the tree, so here are some pears.” (canned pears)
Second Day: “On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, two turtle doves…We weren’t sure what turtle doves were so we hope this “Dove” will do.” (a large Dove chocolate bar)
Third Day: “On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, three French hens…We couldn’t catch the French hens, but we “caught” a box of chicken noodle soup and some French bread. Close enough?!” (a box or can of chicken noodle soup and a loaf of French bread – fresh or Pillsbury refrigerated loaf to bake)
Fourth Day: “On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, four calling birds…The calling birds got stuck in a snowstorm, so we’re sending message pads for your phone calls instead!” (pack of message pads)
Fifth Day: “On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, five gold rings! Yeah, but have you seen the price of gold lately? We hope you’ll enjoy these “golden rings” instead.” (can of pineapple rings)
Sixth Day: “On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, six geese a-laying…We didn’t think you wanted a houseful of geese, so how about some eggs that were a-laid?” (box of eggs)
Seventh Day: “On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, seven swans a-swimming…It’s really too cold for swimming, so how about a nice hot bubble bath?” (bottle of bubble bath)
Eighth Day: “On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, eight maids a-milking…Since we couldn’t fit eight cows on your doorstep, here’s some ice cream with their compliments!” (a half-gallon of ice cream – obviously you’ll want to make sure the recipients are home and ring the doorbell or something so they can bring this in right away!)
Ninth Day: “On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, nine ladies dancing…The ladies have a show at Rockefeller Center, but here’s some Christmas music you can dance to if you like.” (CD or tape of Christmas music – check the dollar store!)
Tenth Day: “On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, ten lords a-leaping…Unfortunately, all the lords pulled a muscle and can’t leap for you, so they kindly sent you their canes in case you decide to try it.” (candy canes)
Eleventh Day: “On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, eleven pipers piping…Serve this cocoa “piping” hot.” (box of cocoa mix)
Twelfth Day: “On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, twelve drummers drumming…We didn’t think you wanted twelve drums or drummers so we drummed up a treat for you. Merry Christmas!” (a baked good)

Sarah November 22, 2010 at 5:50 am

I did this for my husband last year and he loved it! He said it was really fun to discover a new gift on his desk each day. It was really fun trying to be creative with the gifts I got him, and I got him everything he needed. The best part was in my search, I would call him and ask him if he needed such and such. If he said yes, I’d tell him I’d get some. But he wouldn’t get it until the appropriate day. I printed out little tags that said “On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me…” to put on the outside and then “…one such and such” on the inside. I definitely plan on doing this again for him this year and hopefully we can start doing it with our children.

Vicki November 22, 2010 at 6:49 am

Hi Lori & all,
I have did this for 3 different friends/families in the past (once anonomously ’til Christmas day) it was great fun. I had never thought about doing it for Ernie…thanks for the idea. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone. I am Thankful for your daily tips, Lori. :)

Vicki

Annabelle November 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm

So I have done this before to. For my father one year we did gift cards for each day.

Now I am doing it for my boyfriend, and I would like to have some ideas of just things to package. Like for Day 4 I could do a king size candy bar with four sections and for day 11 I could have 11 pictures of me and such.

So could I have some ideas to fill in the rest??