Do You Pray for Your Husband?

October 10, 2010

I ask that question because I realize that sometimes days go by when I haven’t thought to pray for my husband.  In the busyness of my day I just don’t think about it (he is probably the least squeaky wheel in my life).  I’m trying to come up with ways of reminding myself.  I’ve thought of putting “prayer stickers” in places that I will see them (my computer, my purse, etc.)  I’ve thought of re-creating my prayer journal so that there is always a reminder to pray for him.  What are your thoughts?  What do you do to help yourself to remember to pray for your husband?  (Please share as a comment to this post.)

Prayer is not merely an occasional impulse to which we respond when we are in trouble: prayer is a life attitude.  Walter A. Mueller

Be generous!  Lori <><

Sherry October 10, 2010 at 2:29 am

I love my prayer journal to keep up with prayer requests from the regular ones – praying for my husband, children, pastor, etc. to those that need specific prayer requests. Then when God answers a specific prayer, I cross it off and write the date next to it and “Praise God!” so I can look back and see God’s provision.

Amy October 10, 2010 at 3:52 am

Each morning I’m up much earlier than my husband – it’s just the way our schedule is. It’s my time to do my Bible study, pray and workout. After I’m done praying, I “sneak” back into our bedroom, kneel beside our bed, place my hands on my hubby and pray for him. This has done more for our marriage than almost anything!

Kristina October 10, 2010 at 4:03 am

I set a daily, recurring reminder on my computer.

Kathy Pabst October 10, 2010 at 4:28 am

This is probably not anything new, but I have a small notepad, like 2 X 4. I write down each week the people I am wanting to pray for and keep it in my car. Then as I travel around every day I can spend the time talking with God and praying rather than focusing on all I need to do before getting the kids, or thinking of the traffic, or letting my mind wander off to places that it doesn’t need to go.

Debra October 10, 2010 at 5:00 am

May i suggest, everytime you see, touch,or hear him.and andyother time your thought is on him. God answers heart prayers, more than ritual prayers.

Miriam October 10, 2010 at 5:22 am

I write it on my to do list :) I have a google tasks checklist that I keep it on. It helps me to remember to pray for him pretty much each day.

Nancy October 10, 2010 at 5:45 am

My future son-in-law’s name is Brandon… he is not yet a believer. One of my favorite Christian songs, “Give me Your eyes” is sung by Brandon Heath… and every time I hear that or another song by BH, it reminds me to pray for Brandon… then by extension, my daughter, then my other daughter, her hubby and their daughter(soon to be plural:)… and then for my husband. Since I listen to KSBJ out of Houston at work any time I’m in my office, and in the car, I hear BH songs at least 3 times a day.

Maybe hubby needs his own song that triggers that reminder for me, but at any rate – this works for me, as before I’m done I pray my way through the family at least a couple of times a day!

(If you don’t have Christian radio in your area, KSBJ streams over the internet. Check it out at http://www.ksbj.org and click on LISTEN NOW – It’s free, non-commercial, listener-supported Christian music radio).
.-= Nancy´s last blog ..SUSTARS Inaugural Blog Hop =-.

Sheryl October 10, 2010 at 5:54 am

I have found Stormi Omartian’s book, The Power of a Praying Wife, to be an extremely useful and helpful way to pray for my husband. I also have made index cards of scriptures pertaining to his specific needs, and I use them to pray scripture for my husband.

Joy October 10, 2010 at 8:04 am

I found using Stormie Omartian’s book, The Power of the Praying Wife, helpful. I read through it first. Now I pray the pray at the end of one chapter most mornings. That way I can cover all the topics in the book in a month or two.

Valerie J October 10, 2010 at 8:16 am

When you are doing something for your husband, pray for him. Sometimes when I make my husband lunch, I’ll pray. Also, I’ll plan to have the same thing and I’m reminded of him when I am eating my lunch. I’m a SAHM so there’s lots of thing that can remind me of my hubby and remind me to pray and thank God for him. What’s your husbands favorite color? Everytime you see that color you could talk to God about your DH. I mostly am prompted by God to pray for my DH duing my morning quiet times.

Joy B October 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

I really like the previous comment about praying for your husband when you are doing something for him. It is a practical and easy thing to do.

I have recently been challenged to view certain daily occurrences as cues to pray for specific things for my husband (especially since he is insanely busy at work right now and I feel so helpless to ease his burden sometimes). Since I end up needing to drive somewhere most days, most triggers I chose for now are to use while driving. For example, when I stop at a red light, I pray for wisdom for my husband. When I see water or a water tower, I pray for the Holy Spirit to refresh and renew my husband. When I see a pretty church, I try to pray for the continued ability to give him the love and respect he needs specifically from me. The idea is to list some things for which your husband needs prayer in his life right now, and then find triggers that are meaningful connections to you so they are easy to implement. If you keep it simple, it can work.

Mama Bear - Lisa October 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I, too, have the wonderful book from Stormie Omartian and highly suggest if you don’t have it, purchase or borrow it. It really touches on all the areas of where we need to pray and support our husbands. I plan on making that “my” Christmas gift this year..”gifting” her book to all my married friends and women in my bible studies. I see where, when and how God moves when I’m praying for my husband. It’s the best thing we can do for our marriage.

God Bless all of you ladies.
.-= Mama Bear – Lisa´s last blog ..Whats better than stickers and lollipops =-.

Amanda McClain October 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Each time I wash my hands I pray for my husband. The reason for that is because I am always looking at my hands, seeing the ring he gave me to represent our love and our life. Add to that the fact that my husband is obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleaning, and I cannot help but think of him and pray for him.
So my suggestion to you is to think of something your husband is very picky about, how his clothes are folded, how his sandwiche is made, what kind of soap he uses. Anything that he is specific about can be your reminded during the day to pray for him. For me, this works.
In His Love,
Amanda

Lisa October 10, 2010 at 7:12 pm

On my iPhone on the calendar app you can set a daily reminder. I have my husband, girls, extended family, my small group, broken people that need Jesus, a person of the day that God brings to mind, and leaders of my church. It just keeps me on track to pray continually. There is so much power in prayer and gives us the opportunity to include Christ in everything and pray in faith believing that God hears and will answer my prayers in His timing, Will, and ways!

Jeanine October 11, 2010 at 6:03 am

Hi,

I enjoy the daily words of encouragement on how to be better in my marriage. I tend to remember to pray for my hubby by keeping two books by my Bible. When I do my devotions in the morning these two books; The Power of a Praying Wife and Prayers of an Excellent Wife, are what keeps me on track to pray for him. Bless you all and Thanks!

Alleta October 11, 2010 at 8:18 am

I try to pray for my husband and son as I make their lunches for work and school. OK, that means it is not a particularly long prayer, but a prayer nonetheless.

Love your blog!
Alleta (South Africa)

jennifer October 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I kept a picture in my Bible as a bookmark for my daily devotions. It was a baby picture his mom had given to me. People thought it was my son when they saw it!

Betherann October 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I like your prayer stickers idea! :)
.-= Betherann´s last blog ..Coffee- Dogs- and Smiles =-.

Fiona (Australia) October 11, 2010 at 4:58 pm

My husband and I are in the habit of praying together after breakfast. We ask each other “How can I pray for you today?” We’ve been doing this for years now and we have found it an amazing tool to not only pray for each other but to stay connected on where each other is at – even in those busy times of life!

Love your work!

Fiona

Danielle October 12, 2010 at 8:34 am

Thank you all for your suggestions; Sometimes I don’t feel like I know “how” to pray, even though I know it comes from your heart. My husband and I have only been married for two years, so learning to pray for him has been a new thing for me! I really appreciate hearing how others pray for their husbands and think you all are amazing! Thank you Lori for the blogs, I really enjoy them :)

Amy October 14, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I do pray for my husband but occasionally I’ll forget. I recently found a scent (from my scentsy) that reminds me of my husband. I’ll turn it on and the smell will remind me to pray for him throughout the day:)

Matilda S. Hammond January 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am truly blessed tonight. This is really an encouraging site for every christian married woman. God bless you for the good work.