Keeping Track of Time

October 5, 2010

It’s amazing the number of misunderstandings that can happen over appointments and planned activities.  My husband and I have tried a several things over the years to help us stay on track with each others comings and goings (and then add kids into that as well!).

Over time we have done fairly well with a family calendar.  At times that has been a wall calendar (I’m beginning to see the new 2011 calendars in stores).  We have also used a shared Google calendar.  We are now trying a three month calendar on our office wall (using dry markers to write in events).

I encourage y’all to consider how you keep track of couple and family events.  A little organization can take some of the friction out of life.  (Please share your ideas as a comment.)

Don’t agonize. Organize.  Florynce Kennedy

Be generous!  Lori <><

Marissa October 5, 2010 at 2:40 am

My husband likes to keep track of everything on line with google calendar and I’m an old-fashioned write-it-down kind of girl. So every two weeks or so we sit down and run through the days ahead to make sure we’re on the same page for shared events. It’s a nice way to connect & talk through everything. We also e-mail each other any changes or additions so we can add it to our personal calendars.
.-= Marissa´s last blog ..Writing Like an Actor =-.

Monique October 5, 2010 at 2:57 am

We have just started to use one (household notebook) and its saving my sanity! God is a God of order not chaos and I’m fighting for my family and I to be aligned with that truth. You can google household notebook and tons of resources and templates will come up to help you as well.

tracy October 5, 2010 at 7:43 am

i know if it includes my husband to do something or to also go to an event we use RED marker for him. I think usuing different colors for children helps too

Newlywed + Unemployed October 5, 2010 at 11:31 am

Excellent suggestion. I’ve been familiar with this sine childhood so implementing it into my marriage was a natural step – for me, but not for Gary. He struggled to remember to use the family calendar until I decided that if it didn’t get written on the calendar, it didn’t happen. After a little tough love, it stuck and what a difference a common calendar makes!

Leslie October 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm

We love the Cozi calendar. You can color code each family member, and slect all of just the ones who will be attending each event. I print it for the full month to keep accessible in the family room. Bonus, it will text reminders to the attendees 30 minutes before start time. We’re loving this technology for our family!

Shawnna October 6, 2010 at 11:25 am

My husband and I just started doing this 2 months ago. The only problem is that he forgets to look at it!!! But I think once we all get use to knowing that there’s a central calendar, it should help a lot. However, this shouldn’t be used in place of communication!!! But it definitely seems to help on the “mis” communication!

Michele October 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I’ve been receiving your e-mails for years and love them. Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions over time.

For us, we use a Google calendar. It’s so easy for my husband to add something from work and at the same time be able to check if we have something already scheduled. We both use it and enjoy it. I love that it is also color-coded.