Welcome Home

August 26, 2010

Make your husband’s transition from work to home as peaceful and nice as possible. Maybe take a little time to tidy up the living room or put on a fresh blouse. Give your kids a little bit of attention, so that they don’t rush dad the minute he walks in the door. Turn off the TV and put on some soft music. Do whatever will make you and your home a welcome respite after a long day at work.

A prudent wife is from the Lord.  Proverbs 19:14b NAS
(prudence: cautious practical wisdom; good judgement; careful forethought; discretion)

Be generous! Lori <><

Take Two August 26, 2010 at 9:11 am

As a guy, I just had to comment on this. A few years back, I heard a Christian women talking about this idea. She was basically saying that women back in the 50’s were pretty much expected to do this and how silly this was. Trust me, it isn’t silly.

Of course most women today are much more concerned with the Children and their work and make their husbands transition themselves. But for those who have the opportunity, this can truly make a difference. As the keeper of the home, I do see this as a wifely responsibility, and it will pay big dividends in each household.

I do not vacuum in high heels August 26, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I must say that I found this tip to be rather antiquated, as it sounds as if it may have come from a Good Housekeeping magazine in the 1950’s. Even the language, I.e. “blouse” is not used today. I am a stay at home mother and found your tip to be on par with something my grandmother would have read. I do not vacuum in high heels, nor do I wash dishes and
cook while wearing a blouse. It is a fair statement you make that men’s transitions to the home after work could be made smoother by their generous wives. However, I would like to know realistically how I can do this, since changing into a blouse I do not own is out of the question.

can I have a job too? August 26, 2010 at 7:23 pm

umm…… 50’s Good Housekeeping much?
A ton of women I know work too – my mother is one (I’m a university student). Are they supposed to get home from their jobs (perhaps just as demanding, or more) and then go about “tidying up the house” and tidying themselves up so that he can have respite? What if she gets home later than he?
Forgive me, but this is just silly, dated, and unrealistic for today’s world. Homecoming ought to be “a welcome respite” for BOTH husband and wife.

Take Two August 27, 2010 at 8:52 am

Guess people still think it is silly.

The Generous Wife August 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I do not think that kindness is ever antiquated. Who wouldn’t want a gentle entry into the home (after work or play or whatever)? It’s tough to be met with demands, crisis and general mayhem. Lori <>< From the "Start Here" page (in the right column): Personalize The Tips We all have different marriage relationships and the tips can be used a number of ways. For example, if I suggest that you give your husband a shoulder massage when he comes home from work and your husband works at home, then consider giving him a shoulder massage when you know he's been sitting at his desk for a long time or after coming in from doing some yard work. The idea is that you give him a little physical attention and relief from muscle pain. You know your husband, you pick the time and place.

Mary August 28, 2010 at 5:09 am

I love this tip and I can see the difference it makes when I am able to do it (which is only about once a month.) It also helps me feel more relaxed after a day of tending to my little ones! But it is so hard to do when you have a 2 and a half year old and 1 year old, neither of which sleep through the night. This always happens to be the time of day when they start to meltdown and need me the most. Any suggestions?

Diane August 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

It occured to me a day or two ago that I have been around the block a time or two with this marriage thing, I have been married 23 years. From my perpective I am able to look back and see thinks i didn’t see. GenerousWife has offered a very good tip. To make the effort to meet your husband with a fresh face is priceless. He will look forward to coming home & seeing you, if nothing else. But you are also showing him respect – men need that. And you show he is important to you – everyone needs that. This one tip could save your marriage! How much does it cost you? It will get you thinking about your husband before he comes thru the door and that may pay off later that night. You will feel refreshed yourself if you take time to comb your hair, put on some lip gloss – do whatever makes YOU feel refreshed. Then you will feel ready to welcome him. If you have little kids refresh them too, maybe you can give them a snack and start a quiet activity time. If you work away from home maybe you can freshen up the lipstick, pop a breath mint, and put on a big smile before you meet your husband. And the very most important thing might be to freshen up our frame of mind before we say hello to the most important man in our lives. Personally, I think this tip has my name on it. You see my husband comes home from work at 7:00 a.m. I’m in the middle of a good mornings sleep at that time. But it is important to get myself out of bed early enough to be looking pleasant when he gets home, to be there to hear about his night, to make an investment in my marriage. I will have to reconsider my schedule. Thank you Generous Wife.
Thank you TakeTwo for sharing your perspective.