Keep In Touch

August 7, 2009

My husband is away over night.  That’s pretty unusual (something of a choice for us).  We have connected by phone several times during the day and had I thought about it quickly enough, I would have tucked a little something in his suitcase just to let him know that I was thinking of him.

When you and your husband are separated for any length of time, work to stay connected. (Ladies, please feel free to share your “stay in touch” ideas by adding a comment to the blog.)

I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart so long.  If we’re in each others dreams, we can be together all the time. Hobbes (of Calvin and Hobbes)

Be generous!  Lori <><

Shell August 7, 2009 at 2:50 am

When my husband goes away I always add little note all through his luggage. I tuck them into his socks and pockets of pants so he will find them throughout his trip. I usually stick a photo of me and the kids inside his suitcase also so he sees us whenever he opens it. We often chat online (Instant messaging) when he is away too. (cheaper than phonecalls if he is overseas)

FirstGleam August 7, 2009 at 3:35 am

When my husband was away to Europe for 5 weeks last year, I created a little packet of notecards and pictures. I alternated a notecard with a note from me about various topics/verses — how much I love him, what kind of husband/father he is, who God is, what God has done, etc. — with pictures of our sons and I individually and together. I numbered each of them so he would know what to look at on what day. I also printed a few extra copies of the pictures I gave him so I would have them at home. We look back on that time in awe that we were actually apart for that long…and I gained a new higher respect for soldiers’ wives!

Just recently, I reused a few of the pictures and slipped them into my husband’s luggage before he went away for a mere 4 days — a drop in the bucket compared to his Europe trip! :-)

titus2gal August 7, 2009 at 4:41 am

One gal in our group told me that when her husband goes out of town she tucks one of their old love letters in his suitcase. A precious reminder of their history together. If you don’t have any love letters of your own and don’t think you can put your thoughts into words take some tips from the romantics of the past. The internet has many sites that contain love letters from historic public figures. People like Abigal Adams, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Winston Churchill and many others. They are fun reading at the very least and perhaps they can put into words what you cannot. ;>)

anxious4him August 7, 2009 at 4:44 am

My husband is military, stationed in Japan for 2 years while we’re home in Ohio. We utilize every form of affordable technology imaginable: webcams, e-mail, Facebook, our own family website, MagicJack (it actually works from Japan!), phone cards that work from his ship at sea, you name it. After a trip over to TheMarriageBed.com and reading about cyber/phone sex with him, I’m intrigued, but too inhibited ;-) We’re only ~4-5 months into the 2 years, so maybe later…

Gabby August 7, 2009 at 5:22 am

Unfortunately, my husband travels more than either of us would like. Often, he makes 4-6 trips in 6 months, then nothing for another 6 so it’s always a shock when he starts again.

I try to keep some inexpensive love cards in the house so I can tuck one in his bag. Homemade notes work well too and if I stick them in various sections of his bag he can find them as he unpacks.

Of course, for my hubby who’s love language is ‘acts of service’ the best thing I can do for him while he travels is to make sure he has travel sized shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc. He says he feels loved when I’ve noted that he is low on something and it magically appears in his travel basket after my next shopping trip.

amicasa August 7, 2009 at 5:58 am

My husband and I are fairly inseparable, but one summer I went to Latin America to study for a month. It was a mutual agreement in order to help me reach goals for ministry and career purposes. Before I left, I bought some little notebooks (because I did it for the kids, too) and wrote down something uplifting about a quality that I like or admire about him for every day that I would be gone. We also got a webcam so that we could see each other when we communicated via the internet.

klpettigrove August 7, 2009 at 2:02 pm

I left this in the vacation section, but it is perhaps more applicable here:

My husband is an academic who often travels overseas to conferences. I used to get a little grumpy whenever he left. Here he was hot-footing it all over the world and I was left home with our children. (With one income and three children it is not yet possible for me to go with him.) Then I changed my focus. During one exceptionally long trip, the kids and I went to the library and took out travel books on the places my hubby would be (The DK Pictoral travel guides are great for children!). We each chose something we wanted him to find during his free time. We made a list and told him about it the next time we spoke on the phone. For each item he found, he would get a kiss from each of us. (This list included a kilted gentleman. A “special” kiss from me could be collected when this item was sighted.)

Whenever my husband checked in with us via phone or email or text, he reported on how many items he’d found. We, in turn, checked them off the list. In his last night in Scotland, he spotted a man in a kilt. He texted me before he’d even returned to the place where he was staying!

This kept our minds off of being apart and helped us to feel less “abandoned.” We felt a part of his adventures instead of feeling apart.

There were seventeen kisses to be collected in all…plus an extra special one from me! What a happy hubby to come home to kisses rather than grumpiness.

Now the following quote sits in a heart-shaped frame on the windowsill in my kitchen:

“My darling, be a wife, be a friend, write good letters, do not mope, do not torment me.” Anton Checkov, Russian Writer