Words of Reflection

May 25, 2009

Several wives have recently told me about how they leave messages for their husbands, usually on the bathroom mirror, with white board markers.  I’ve mentioned it here before, but it bears repeating because it is such a simple idea that has a lot of creative applications.  The markers come in a number of colors and are easy to clean up too.  (Please feel free to use the comment ability to share your marker ideas.)

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24  NAS

Be generous!  Lori <><

mummy2boys May 25, 2009 at 2:24 am

This is a great idea! I just have to go out this week and buy a whiteboard marker. Are you absolutely sure it comes off though?

The Generous Wife May 25, 2009 at 10:36 am

@ mummy2boys ~
Actual white board markers should come off mirrors, glass, most appliances, tile surfaces, etc. (anything with that lovely, wipe off kind of surface), but as always, do a small spot test on something that is not important or can’t be seen.

beshann May 25, 2009 at 4:17 am

My husband likes to use the mirror and whiteboard to keep track of things he needs to do, things he needs from the store, etc. This has been SOO incredibly wonderful. For his birthday and Christmas I had a goldmine of ideas for things he actually wanted. Try to find out if your husband has a spot like that where he keeps his list. Even just picking up a grocery item he’s been wanting, or completing a small task for him can mean so much.

fancynancykay May 25, 2009 at 10:02 am

My hubby and I have done this for over 10 years. Our daughters (now 26 and 21) are grown now with families of their own, and I never realized how much our writing on our bathroom mirror to one another and on theirs to them had impacted them until I visited my younger daughter’s house in a nearby town and read the comments that they had written to one another on the master bath mirror. It was very touching.

When our first grandchild was born to our oldest 10 months ago, Aunt KK (that same youngest daughter) and Uncle B were there for the birth – we didn’t realize til later, though, that on their way back out of town, they had stopped by our house and left us a message on the kitchen door window with love and congratulations.

For those who haven’t tried this yet – for your hubby and your kids, it can be a gift that keeps on giving… really!

blessedchick May 26, 2009 at 6:33 am

I do this for my hubby usually with a lipstick i dont use after my showers. never thought about dry erase markers. my husband usually reponds back..I think its another fun way to show our love

origami_angel578 May 27, 2009 at 6:34 am

My husband and I do this as well, but we like to be creative with where we leave our messages. I once woke up to discover that he had graffiti’d our entire toilet…that was funny! I also learned the hard way that just because I knew which markers were dry-erase doesn’t mean my husband did. I came home from a trip to find the range hood of our oven (in a rented apartment) covered with permanent marker. It took us about 6 months of a daily cleaning to get it off, but it did eventually come off. Bonus…I had the cleanest range hood ever.

Erin May 28, 2009 at 4:25 am

Regular washable Crayola markers work too! I’ve used them lots of times and it comes right off when I clean the mirrors!

Elizabeth King October 5, 2010 at 12:41 pm

our range hood is already several years old but still going strong,`;